betta fish

Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #31 
Bombalurina

Hey look, I'm a Bronze member!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #32 
Aus

Congrats on the bronzing!

I'm looking forward to your ratty pics - think you can post one of their home, too? I enjoy looking at people's rat habitats as well as the occupants.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #33 
Bombalurina

Sure! I'd like to show off my monstrous cage. :p If you guys have rat/fish pictures you want to share, please do. :)
Old 04-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #34 
Shirleythebetta

I do miss my rats. My mothers was amazing. I bred one litter for a lady who sold them (not as food I promise) and this one little albino boy caught my attention. He was so nice and would grab your lower lip and lick it, he never bit anyone. I got him a rabbit cage and gifted him to my mother. Within a week the rabbit cage was gone and my father got him a three teared monster of a ferret cage along with toys and hammock. I think he died of a lung issue though. He started weezing a lot and there was no hope. He made it to almost three though. I had two fancy's that I had to rehome because of moving. They live with a lovely 30 something year old man who is mentally ill. (he lives with his parents who do the general care for the rats) he does all the social stuff and they sit on his shoulders and such and he feeds them. I do wish I had the room now for at least a little mouse. I had a long haired mouse too named Fred who died of old age. He used to sit on top of my hand and fall asleep as I rubbed his cheek, so sweet.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:50 AM   #35 
Bombalurina

Aw, he sounds like such a sweety! Turns out that Darcy is a massive licker. I was talking to him through the cage bars this morning and he licked my nose for about 20 seconds. I nyawwed. :)
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #36 
Shirleythebetta

their like teeny doggys!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #37 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I don't have any ratties, but I do have a hammy. :3 I'd love a rat or two.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #38 
Bombalurina

Shirley is spot on, they are just like teeny dogs. Definitely worth it for the future, Maisy! ;)

Hyde goes in for his operation today. If I can raid my dad's camera I'll upload a picture of what's being chopped off.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #39 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I hope he does good. ;D

I was thinking a rat after my hammy passes (not any time soon I hope!). Can you keep them on fleece?

Below are some pics of my ham. :3
|
|
|
|
V
Attached Images

MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #40 
Bombalurina

Hamsters seriously look as if Disney and a 6-year-old girl collaborated to make what they considered would be the cutest animal imaginable. They don't look like they have any other function than to be cute. :p I love your cage, by the way!

Rats can live on fleece. In fact, fleece pads are a recommended bedding, as they help prevent bumblefoot (Hyde's wound started out as bumblefoot). I'd put it on top of lino. Couple of things you should know, though:
- rats need to be kept in pairs or groups. Keeping them singly is not a good idea. I can link you to some really great essays on why, if you are interested. :)
- they are a heck of a lot more expensive than hamsters, as they need a much bigger cage and will need vetinary attention at some point during their lives. That is pretty much a guarantee.

I think those are the only downsides. :p Not that keeping two is a downside - rat behaviour with other rats is incredibly cute. I love seeing my boys snuggled up together in a space that should really barely even hold one of them. :) And they are such friendly, happy little critters. Whenever Darcy sees me he still bounces up to the front of the cage for cuddles. The others all give a general sniff in my direction, the lazy little fatties.

I had to buy a new water bottle for the bottom half of the cage today, since I attached their normal one to the travel cage for Hyde. I also decided to get some new toys (you know, just since I was there). I got a parrat sunflower seed block, which has been a massive success. They have to work pretty hard to break the seeds off the block, so they can't have too many at once, but the reward for their work is a yummy treat. It kept Willoughby and Darcy especially entertained. I also got a banana-shaped and flavoured chew. I think it's made of chalk, but they seem to like it and it lasts forever. I also got some more wooden fuit-flavoured chews, but they won't go on my ka-bob, so I need my dad to make the holes bigger.

I may have to buy another cage today when Hyde gets home, so the others can't get at his bandages and chew them. I think the second size of the Pet One rabbit/guinea pig cages looks good - it's long and shallow, which is the opposite of what rats want normally, but since he won't be able to climb it's perfect. I can put in an igloo and some extra fleeces and blankets for him - maybe even a low-slung hammock.
I got a call from the vet a couple of hours ago to say the surgery was successful. I get to pick him up this afternoon and find out about his post-op care and whether he'll need a neck collar to stop him trying to reach his wound. That will look hilarious, but also quite gorgeous.