Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #81 
Bombalurina

Had chiro this morning, followed by a quick shop. I got three tops and a warm cosy poncho. I also got a new bottle of Prime.

Now I have a massive headache. :( I want to bake, so I might walk down to the shops and get some ingredients. Heaven knows I can't work with my brain like this.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #82 
Bombalurina

Well, it's been a few days. What's happened?

My friend Lea came over and saw my fishies (yay, I got to show them off!). That was fun. I did some assignmentage and kept having terrible headaches. That was less fun. I tidied my bedroom. Cathartic yet frantic.

My Jane Austen essay (I chose to write on class representations in Masnfield Park and Persuasion) is due tomorrow. I've written it, but I need to throw in some sources and fix it up because the last half is pretty shoddy.

I've started rewatching Buffy from the beginning of Season One. Dear me, I love that show. I'm determined to get hold of Angel and start watching that in parallel when I start Buffy Season 4.
My dream is for Joss Whedon and Steven Moffat to co-write something. Whedon would create the most incredible characters that you have to love and give them insane chemistry, then Moffat would put them in storylines of adventure, pain and paradox that would keep you glued to it until the last moment.
Fangirl? Who, me?

I also made the mistake of browsing the two local classifieds sites. I've asked one person if I can buy their Twilight books (please don't hate, I'm not a rabid Twihard), and another person if I can have their betta. There's a thread in Betta Chat called "I don't know what to do" if you want to weigh in on that. Unfortunately, the classifieds also depressed me a little - so many poorly stocked tanks and lonely, neglected ratties!
One day, I'll be able to save them all.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #83 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Not much has happened with me. I did get a new tank stand that will fit BOTH of my tanks. lol I have the fun task today of putting together the stand and moving the tanks. I think I'll do it when I'm doing a water change so there is less water. :3
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #84 
Bombalurina

Enjoy that, Maisy. :p

Well, I finished my essay, threw in some sources and handed it in with minutes to spare. It's probably one of the shoddier essays I've written since coming to uni, but hopefully it will be enough. I need to maintain a distinction average (that's 70% or more) to get into the Honours programme. What's depressing is that for Law honours you only need a low credit average - 61, I think, possibly less - and I can't even get that. Just goes to show how my brain works. :p I'd rather analyse a novel than a case any day.

Today I cleaned my fish and made another resolution to do it twice this week, which I have failed to do for nearly a month now.

Holidays are officially over, as of yesterday, although tomorrow is a public holiday (Anzac Day). It will give me a chance to catch up on the reading for weeks 7 and 8. I was a bit flat-out yesterday, so I'm going to take it slowly today and help my brain recover.

I bought the Twilight books off the local classifieds last night. The most disappointing thing for me is that Twilight doesn't have the pretty apple, it has the creepy movie poster picture of Edward and Bella. Robert Pattinson, you were Hotter in Potter.
Please don't stop reading the thread, if you are subscribed, on the basis of my new books. :p Hey, at least I didn't pay for them first hand!

Roiboos tea with lemon juice. Mmhmm.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #85 
Bombalurina

I went to the doctor yesterday about the constant headaches. She poked and prodded and tested and then sent me off to the blood testers. That did not go well.
First, he couldn't find my veins. This happens every time. I have invisble veins. Then, when he eventually did get a vein (after me having my arm in a compression strap for ten minutes), the needle didn't go in quite right, so it started bleeding outside the wound (that hasn't happened before). The blood wasn't running normally into the tubes, either - it was spurting and bubbling like a gravel siphon line with air in it (yes, I made that comparison). Then, on the third vial, the needle slipped out of the vein. Blood was now running down my arm to my wrist and it really stung, but blood was also still going into the vials, so we kept on plugging. Eventually, all four vials were filled, his hands were shaking like a vibrato solo and I was a bit of a mess.
I don't mind needles at all, but that wasn't fun. And my arm was so achy even three hours later than my mum had to drive me to uni because I couldn't lift my left arm to the wheel properly, or operate the handbrake (the driver's seat is on the right here, so the handbrake is on the driver's left).
This makes me curious - Americans, what order do the pedal go in, from left to right, for you guys? Ours go clutch, brake, accelerator, although our car is an auto, so no clutch, just a foot rest.
It would be so trippy to visit a country where I had to drive on the right. Do your roundabouts go anti-clockwise? Cos that's wierd too.

I'm enjoying Twilight again. Don't hate me.

Last night, I was eating a meat pie (yep, being vegan is not easy in this house) and made the mistake of offering a gravy-covered finger to Hyde to lick. In his blindness (he's probably 99% blind, if not more) and his rapture at the smell, he didn't lick. He bit. It hurt. Not his fault in the slightest, though - I should have remembered how happy they get about meat pie. Stupid me. Still hurts, though. :p
Darcy tried to lick the wound better today. He's a little sweetheart. They all are. Love for all my babies. :D

Week 7 of Property Law - done and dusted. Now for week 7 of Litigation. Urgh.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #86 
Shirleythebetta

I hate getting blood drawn sometimes. They say I have "rolling" veins and it takes several pokes. I am used to it by now though and it doesn't hurt me much.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:09 AM   #87 
Bombalurina

I feel your pain, fellow-pin-cushion.

Still have the headaches. :( I got adjusted by the chiropractor this morning, which helped for a few hours, but now they are back with a vengeance.

Went into my property lecture, then my English tute. The teachers all advised us to protest the proposed budget cuts. Apparently, the first thing they look at in assession which teachers to cut is the number of grants they get (not relevant to the quality of their teaching), then the number of works that teacher has published (also not relevant) and finally their actual teaching ability. That seems a bit stupid to me. I went to the protest but was an observer. I couldn't hear most of what was being said, anyway.

I bought two more Batman comics. :D I also bought sushi for the ratties. They love their sushi. I bought a mixed box so I suppose everyone can choose his favourite. I think it's beef, tuna, salmon, prawn, vegetable california, and a couple of duplicates. 8 rolls per box, $8. Very tasty.

I finished Twilight last night and started New Moon this morning.

Today I got a text from one of the staff asking if anyone could cover her at work. She and her friends don't seem to understand that you are supposed to call the boss and ask him to find someone to cover you. It's nice that she wants to save him the work, but he wants to do it so that he knows exactly what is going on.
I'm guessing she's pulling out for a social reason (again), which means I can't pull out for sickness because if I do we'll be one short. I really hate this job. :( I wish I could quit now, but I hate to let my bosses down like that because they've always been really good to me. Le sigh.

What's everyone's favourite type of hot drink?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #88 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Decaf Coffee and Hot Chocolate. :3
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #89 
Bombalurina

Well, it has been a while, but I'm back. :) A combination of back pain, a buttload of uni work (trying to catch up from the backlog of weekly readings after neglecting them to do assignments) and the distractions of Medieval Total War 2 (go the Holy Roman Empire!) kept me away. What's been happening with you guys?

My dad twisted his ankle extremely badly yesterday on a run and is now on crutches. I did my first job as a party host, which was not great. I saw two friends I haven't seen in ages. I got my first HD on an assignment (only took 4 years).

In fishy news, I have sadly had another death. My Psyche, the most beautiful girl in the tank, who had a glorious tail and the most beautiful irridescent red and blue fins, died of internal parasites despite my best attempts to save her. She went lethargic, lost her colour, pineconed, sank to the bottom and died within 48 hours.
With her death, I only had four girls left in the tank and a bit of nipping started up. It's settled down now but I bought three new girls anyway. Cassandra is a mustard gas with a bent spine and badly torn fins. Demeter is the cutest little pink and green cambodian. I don't normally like cams, but she is so pretty. Hippolyta is a very pretty red and blue. Unfortunately, I think she might be a Hercules, in which case I will have to rehome her. :( She is very aggressive, has built a solid bubblenest, has a big beard and solid ventrals.
All three 'girls' are in one of my spare tanks, a nice 5 gallon hexy. Hippolyta is in a breeder box in the tank so she stops chasing poor Cassie. The tank looks pretty good - two big silk plants, two shells caves, one recumbant pot, one log, two java ferns and a substrate of IAL. The water is a nice golden colour and has 1 tsp of salt per gallon to try and held Cassie's fins. She is certainly looking less stressed and has become more active. When I saw her in the shop, I thought she was dead.
I'm glad I discovered this shop. They are a bit more expensive and I have to travel 40 minutes to get to them, but they are really ethical and treat their animals well. They aren't entirely betta savvy (think they need less than a gallon to be happy) but they have their males in 1/2 litre heated, filtered compartments and their females in a decent sized sorority. Their treatment of their birds is amazing. They also support heaps of wildlife charities.

I have a bunch of photos of fish and rats to add soon, but for now I have to head off and get ready for uni.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #90 
Bombalurina

Thought it was time for some more photo spam.

1) My first rescue, Apollo. He came to me in a cold, dirty 1 litre jar, the kind we get instant coffee in here. Thankfully, the people who owned him had the good sense to sell him on when they did some research and realised that, contrary to what the petshop said, that was not a good home for him. The day after I got him, his tail began to fall off; a delayed reaction to his poor conditions. At its worst, he had less than 2cm left. Finrot troubled him on and off throughout his life, but he was always a healthy and active boy, up until his death.

2) Athena came from my favourite petshop, sadly now closed. I originally went in to buy a gorgeous white delta male (very rare here), but I saw her bossing around the other girls in the tank. She swam up to me as if to say "What are you looking at?!" and I had to get her.

3) Aphrodite was my first ever girl. I got this little Cambodian second hand with her tank (included filter, heater, decorations and chemicals) and I loved her. I was broken-hearted when she died. I got Athena as her successor.

4) A little while before I got Apollo, I came across a guppy with a deformed body in a petshop. Someone's idea of a joke had been to drop her in a jar with an angry red male CT, where she had been bitten badly. She was only surviving by staying in his blind spot, and he was well riled up. My friend gave me another female guppy to be friends with her. I named the deformed guppy Myrtle (after moaning Myrtle, from Harry Potter, because she looked like the S bend of a toilet) and the other girl Hepzibah (inkeeping with the theme). I reasoned that even 5 gallons with my grumpy Athena, with its heated, clean water, live plants and hiding spots was better than a cold dirty jar with a murderous male. I ended up upgrading to this 16 gallon.

5) A better shot of the 16 gal. You can see Hepzibah's yellow tail up the top right. Athena is the black shape to her left. Myrtle's orange tail is just visible in the elodea.

6) A blurry close-up of Myrtle, so you can see her spine.
Attached Images