Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #41 
copperarabian

The other day I was holding Rosie and she lost her balance and bit me on the lip pretty hard to hold on. Later in the day she lost balance again and nearly got my eye lid. On days like these I tell myself to never get a larger bird who has a messed up leg lol. Although, if it was a really sweet bird who needed a home and I can afford the vet bills... maybe XD

Happy late Easter :)

copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 PM   #42 
Sakura8

Copper, ouch! I guess it's a sign of how much she trusts you that she reaches for you to hold on, it's just too bad it hurts so much. Hope you heal up soon!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #43 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Copper, ouch! I guess it's a sign of how much she trusts you that she reaches for you to hold on, it's just too bad it hurts so much. Hope you heal up soon!
It's really not that bad since she has such a little beak :) On my lip I just have a scratch. and she just barely missed my face XD One time she did make my forehead bleed though lol Most birds will grab the first thing they can get when they are off balance, so it's more of a reaction then trust. She can be pretty good with her beak though, She can hang with her beak from my hand. She does this when I hold her upside down and she wants to be right side up again. If I don't place my other hand under her fast enough she'll squeeze a little tighter, but it only hurts a little.

I got her out and took a photo of her hanging from my hand. She was a little confused because I had just closed her cage for the night and was about to cover her XD. I made it up with lots of head scratched though.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #44 
Sakura8

Ohmigosh, she looks so funny dangling there! Tell Rosie we're sorry for disturbing her beauty rest so we could get our fill of cute pics. :)

I'm glad bird beaks don't hurt as much, especially since she's adept at using hers. I was thinking back to when my cat clawed my lip and sliced it open. Only reason I didn't get stitches is because my neighbor is a nurse and she came over and fixed it for me. I think I must have bad memories of sharp objects near lips. o.O
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #45 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Ohmigosh, she looks so funny dangling there! Tell Rosie we're sorry for disturbing her beauty rest so we could get our fill of cute pics. :)

I'm glad bird beaks don't hurt as much, especially since she's adept at using hers. I was thinking back to when my cat clawed my lip and sliced it open. Only reason I didn't get stitches is because my neighbor is a nurse and she came over and fixed it for me. I think I must have bad memories of sharp objects near lips. o.O
owww. That sounds very painful. I don't like how cat scratches puff up a little O.O. The X-large cockatoos have the worst bite in the parrot family in my opinion. Macaws can do a severe puncture wound but cockatoos have 3 points instead of the macaws 1 point.

Here's a bad bite from a umbrella cockatoo on the lip http://www.charlieandpeggy.com/cockatoobite1.jpg
Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #46 
Luimeril

i adore parrots of all kinds, but honestly, they scare me. their beaks, man. Ma's cockatiel hurt when he nipped, so their bigger beaks scare me.

last time i was a the pet store, there was a cute little parrot, who was super friendly. i got to feed him a treat, but he was more interested in mouthing my fingers. despite being scared, i let him, and he was surprisingly gentle. guess he was tasting me? lol i dunno what he was doing, but he was adorable. :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #47 
LittleBettaFish

Haha their beaks do hurt if you aren't expecting it. I ended up accidentally (it was purely reflexive) punting our cockatoo halfway across his aviary when he bit me really hard on the shin.

I love galahs. My mum used to own a pair and one used to call the cat 'puddah puddah' and then bite its tail when it sat on the cage.

Rosie is a beautiful girl. Looks like she is very happy with you.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #48 
Luimeril

he was more interested in licking on my finger, than biting down. cute little guy. wish we had the money to buy one. :I Ma's always wanted a blue and gold Macaw, but omg, the price tags on those guys. :I and the cages they need are HUGE! ;n;
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #49 
copperarabian

Quote:
Luimeril i adore parrots of all kinds, but honestly, they scare me. their beaks, man. Ma's cockatiel hurt when he nipped, so their bigger beaks scare me.

last time i was a the pet store, there was a cute little parrot, who was super friendly. i got to feed him a treat, but he was more interested in mouthing my fingers. despite being scared, i let him, and he was surprisingly gentle. guess he was tasting me? lol i dunno what he was doing, but he was adorable. :I
I was holding a umbrella cockatoo who was being sold, it was still young but made me extremely nervous. The breeder didn't say anything about how they act once they mature. I even tried talking to him about it and he said all they want is attention and if you give it to them it's fine. Because of that holding his bird made me very afraid. It was very cute though, and super cuddly. Only problem was it wanted to kiss your face, and mouth your finger and ears. It also jumped onto a lady's head O.O

Nothing bad happened but I didn't feel safe and would never buy a bird from that man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Haha their beaks do hurt if you aren't expecting it. I ended up accidentally (it was purely reflexive) punting our cockatoo halfway across his aviary when he bit me really hard on the shin.

I love galahs. My mum used to own a pair and one used to call the cat 'puddah puddah' and then bite its tail when it sat on the cage.

Rosie is a beautiful girl. Looks like she is very happy with you.
Thankyou :D I love when I'm out and about with her and another Galah person meets her. I feel a little pride when they are amazed by her color XD

Here's a pic i took of her last week :D It reminds me of a flower lol

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #50 
LittleBettaFish

She definitely looks nice and healthy. Her plumage is beautiful.

I do have to say galahs are stupid about traffic. They sit in the middle of round-abouts during peak hour, and then all of a sudden fly in front of your car making you think you are going to run them over.

I swear they tag team with the corallas and cockatoos to give you a heart attack whilst driving lol.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote