Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #51 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
She definitely looks nice and healthy. Her plumage is beautiful.

I do have to say galahs are stupid about traffic. They sit in the middle of round-abouts during peak hour, and then all of a sudden fly in front of your car making you think you are going to run them over.

I swear they tag team with the corallas and cockatoos to give you a heart attack whilst driving lol.
She's not completely healthy, but waaaay better then when I got her. She still has some yellow and brownish feathers but most have been replaced already. After her old feathers are completely replaced she is going to be a awesome sight :D

That's crazy XD I really wish there where native parrots in CA lol. I've seen some of the wild populations but nothing can compare to the birds in australia.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #52 
Aus

Galahs are gorgeous - I enjoyed your pics, she's a lovely bird. We have some wild ones here in the outer city occasionally, and a massive flock of corellas stops by for a week or so once a year - boy, are they noisy!

Makes me miss living in the countryside. And yes, cockatoos have super-destructive beaks - I've seen them strip boards off a house. Don't want my finger caught in one.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #53 
Luimeril

Rosie has got me interested in Galahs. they're beautiful birds, and seem to be rather friendly and super smart. on one of my Tumblr blogs, i'm tracking the Galah tag, just to see the beautiful pictures. :3
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #54 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
Rosie has got me interested in Galahs. they're beautiful birds, and seem to be rather friendly and super smart. on one of my Tumblr blogs, i'm tracking the Galah tag, just to see the beautiful pictures. :3
Your spot on with that. They are highly intelligent and quick learners. Galahs naturally live in massive flocks so in captivity they are naturally not one person birds. They love meeting new people if you raise them right :)

That's funny, I wonder if my photos of come up XD I have a tumblr for just photos of Rosie lol http://galah.tumblr.com/
Old 04-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #55 
copperarabian

Rosie's currently going through a wave of spring hormones. I keep finding her trying to mate with her perch or playtop and being aggressive at times. I just got back from a walk and reached into her cage to pick her up, she got very puffy and bit me. Luckily it wasn't that bad, earlier in the day she made me bleed a little.

I always try blocking her bites, right when she snaps I ball my hand into a fist with the back of my hand facing her, this way she can't bite. Usually when I do this she presses her head against my hand because she knows she can't bite.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #56 
Sakura8

Do birds go into "heat" the same way dogs and cats do?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #57 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
Your spot on with that. They are highly intelligent and quick learners. Galahs naturally live in massive flocks so in captivity they are naturally not one person birds. They love meeting new people if you raise them right :)

That's funny, I wonder if my photos of come up XD I have a tumblr for just photos of Rosie lol http://galah.tumblr.com/
i actually reblog ALOT of photos from that blog! i roleplay a Medic from Team Fortress 2 who got a Galah, so i reblog alot of pictures from the galah tag, and from that blog in particular! lol
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #58 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Do birds go into "heat" the same way dogs and cats do?
No, they just get feelings and those feelings get way more intense during the spring. Also when I say she tries to mate with her perch, I'll add she knows perfectly well that is not another bird but I'm not sure if that word is appropriate for this forum lol

It sucks for birds, they are very intelligent and often are frustrated that their mate, aka their human(which I am not in Rosie's eyes luckily) isn't willing to breed with them. It makes them very frustrated, expecially when owners are unknowingly touching their birds in ways only a mate should, such as on the back and pretty much anywhere that isn't the head or neck.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #59 
copperarabian

I ordered Rosie a new Pellet that arrived today from Oregon. She just hated the Harrison's pellets because they are so hard and bulky. She's been eating Lafeber's and roudy bush pellets mixed together but I don't like them but their the best the pet store carries(Lafeber's is better to me), they are filled with so much fillers and aren't very nutritious.

The new pellet is called Top Organic, they are a certified organic company and I actually recognize everything in the ingredients. It's also the same ingredients as another brand I like called feed your flock, in fact I think it's the exact same company that makes both. Feed your flock is only a label and they don't make their own pellets.

The nice thing is it isn't very expensive, I paid $14 for the 4pound bag(plus $18 for 3 day shipping but some stores carry it). Compared to other pellets that's a awesome price, in fact I was a little nervous about hoe inexpensive it was lol.

Here's the ingredients
Rice, hulled millet, barley, alfalfa leaf, sunflower seed hulled, sesame seeds unhulled, quinoa whole, buckwheat hulled, dandelion leaf powder, carrot powder, spinach leaf powder, purple dulse, kelp, rose hips powder, rose hips crushed, orange peel powder, lemon peel powder, rosemary whole leaf, cayenne ground, crushed red chili peppers, nettle leaf.

They also sent me a 1 pound bag of their certified organic seed mix, it's much better then the average seeds because you can sprout the seeds. Sprouting makes the seeds very nutritious for birds.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #60 
Sakura8

Rosie eats better than I do, haha. Sounds like a nice healthy meal.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote