Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #11 
Tropical

I am pleased to announce that I think Sniper is on the mend. :) :) He still doesn't eat, but he is slllooowwwlllyyy getting more active. I added a tunnel into his tank, and he has been exploring it a bit, but he only goes in halfway (kinda cute). So that is the update for now. Hopefully he will get 100% back to normal soon.
Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #12 
Tropical

Oh! And he is not bitting his fins anymore!!!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #13 
ANHEL123

So he didn't eat for 7 days. If you saying the he is more active and no visual symptoms on the body i hope he will start eating ....What you feeding them with?

You can try give him frozen blood worms. I don't feed with frozen food but i read a lot of time it really helps. Wear gloves as some people have allergic reactions. Just break off a tiny piece (careful not to overfeed!) of the block they're frozen in and drop it into the tank. It melts instantly..Or you can feed it with clean eyedropper. Break/cut off a small piece of th refrozen food . Let it sit for a minute, then use the eyedropper to feed.

Good luck. Give us update. Is your other betta doing good?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

They can go for a few weeks without food. I had one guy that I got from walmart, he developed columnaris but recovered. He didn't eat for over 3 weeks. Frozen Bloodworms usually work but I have heard soaking their food in garlic juice also helps. I never tried it though.

You can use AQ salt to help combat potential infections from the torn fins, if you want. 1 teaspoon per gallon but don't use it for more then 10-14 days.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #15 
ANHEL123

If you will to treat with aquarium salt you will need to pre mix 1 tso/gall aq salt in 1 gall for the right dosage.
You will need to do 100% daily water changes.

Usually recommendation is to qt betta in a small container but since you have 1 gall you can just reduce the water so it easier to do 100% water changes. And you can use 1 gall for a few days.

Try to feed him today. If he will not eat or if he a little lethargic (sitting on the bottom or hang on the top), or has any physical symptoms on the body definitely use aquarium salt that you probably can find in any pet store. If he will eat and active then I don’t think you need aq salt. :)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #16 
Tropical

Irri is great...active. Today Sniper finally showed a little interest in food, but he still didn't eat it. I really hope he is on the mend! I am trying to tempt him with bloodworms, but he still refuses them. I don't feel the need to use aq salt at this point. Well, that is my update for now...
Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #17 
ANHEL123

What kind of blood worms? Is it frozen one or freeze dried one? They love frozen one. You can tempt him with that at least until he start to eat.
Thank you for update:)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #18 
Tropical

Freeze dried ones. I've never heard of frozen ones before. Where can you get them? I also heard that they like frozen shrimp that you can use on salads-just chop it up real well.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:39 PM   #19 
Tropical

Okay. I think I have another problem with him. I was changing his water today and noticed I think he is missing some of him scales, and it looked like one was coming off. What does this mean??? Is this normal???
Old 03-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

How often do you clean the tank now? my 1 gallons will only every go 3 days max before I clean it. Losing scales, isn't good, however it can be a sign of a sharp plant or ornament. Running pantyhose along plants, and if it runs you know your betta can get hurt by it.

Many skittish bettas end up with missing scales. and ripped fins too! Also, if he'd jumped out of the bowl before, scales can be lost just by being on a counter, or floor - clean or not!

It took one betta I had 3 weeks before he would eat, when I first got him. After he ate like no tomorrow. If you have minced garlic, take some of the juice with a spoon and soak some pellets in it. Bettas find it hard to resist it! Live foods, as well, which can be found in reptile, pet and/or fish stores. Frozen bloodworms, too.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote