Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #81 
Tropical

No, you're fine. Actually, he is still hanging in there. :) I found him lying on his side, he's still alive, but unless he drastically changes and starts eating, I highly doubt he is going to last much longer...:'( This is such a stress!
Tropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #82 
ANHEL123

If you still have him on Epsom salt try to increase it up to 3tsp/gall . It easier to treat worms if the fish is eating so he can produce waste. Usually the dead worms are passed along with the poop.
By increasing Epsom salt will also help pass the worms out of the system but again it better when fish is eating...

Sorry that you go through this. Also poor little betta :( I wish he would eat then it would be easier to get rid of pirisites.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #83 
Tropical

Update: Sniper died this evening, and I already miss him so much! Thank you all for your help. I learned a lot from this process, and next time I hope I'll recognize the symptoms and can catch these parasites faster.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #84 
ANHEL123

So sorry you really did everything you could and right way :(
If you will buy another betta make sure you disinfect the tank and everything in the tank. And let us know if you need instructions on disinfections. Just hot water not enough.
I hope your other little guy will keep you happy.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #85 
Tropical

Yeah, instructions would be helpful. What do I need? I eventually want to get another betta.

Irri is a great comfort. (I know that sounds weird, but I moved him to where Sniper was so he can be closer to me. I like having a betta near me. :))
Old 05-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #86 
ANHEL123

Tank sterilizing: Use 10% of the bleach for a minimum of 10 minutes. Wash it very well with warm, hot, warm...lol i am getting paranoid... wipe it make sure no residue left, wash it again and let it stay outside if you can or inside in sunlight for a few days to neutralize the bleach. Rinse it again. I did it before for one of my tank but i rinse it really million times.

Don't bleach rocks, plants etc, anything porous or that can't stand the bleach.

Also don't bake or boil the gravel - explosion can happen.

I didn't keep anything from the tank when i sterilized my tank. But there are instructions that i read on the forum from someone else who i was talking and who does it for her fish:

Silky plants, they’ll want to use BOILING water. Not hot water but boiling water. Air dry at the end.

Rocks/gravel, plastic plants (not colored rocks, not ''porous'' meaning they don't have holes ,or insect made holes) you can use half and half water and vinegar. Use vinegar and boiling water mix. Leave it for 15 min, stir and rinse very very well with hot tap water, then cold water. Must let the cold water cool down the rocks as they retain heat. Air dry .

Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #87 
Lynzeelynzee

I bought baby bettas and put them in the same tank. I've had them for 4 months and today they fought. Ones perfectly fine but the other one has no fins at all. So I put him in a different tank. I wanna know what I can do so he doesn't die. Also I wanna know if he's gonna die because I don't understand how they were fine for 4 months and then they fought. He's in pretty bad shape. I really really want him to survive. But he has no fins anymore :/

Last edited by Lynzeelynzee; 05-05-2012 at 03:32 AM.
Lynzeelynzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #88 
ANHEL123

You never never put males together. They will kill each other. Betta siamese fighting fish. It will naturally get territorial. Males don't live together. Sorry you learned it hard way. You put female and male only if you want to breed. Females you can put together only minimum group of 4. I never had females but i read even females can be fine for certain period of time and than get territorial and fight.

Is he still eating? Can he swim at all or he just laying on the bottom? I would lower the water in the tank so it will be easier for him to swim to the top for air.

Go to the any pet store and buy aquarium salt. Unscented not iodised aquarium salt. We have it in any pet store.

Pre mix aquarium salt 1tsp/gall in one gall jug. You can use a jug from spring water or even milk. If it from milk make sure you rinse it very well with water. Shake it make sure it dissolved.

Do 100% daily water changes for 10 day. Give us update may be you will need to increase the dose of the aq salt. It can be up to 3 teaspoons /gall.

While you don't have aquarium salt keep his water clean. Do daily water changes. Make sure the new water the same +-2* temp as his. You can let the water stay for 24 hrs this way it will be the same temperature.

Make sure you put water conditioner in with salt.

If you have stress coat it really good to use it for him right now. I don't remember now i think it Stress coat API. You can use it with water conditioner that you usually put in.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #89 
ANHEL123

Also for your other fish i would watch it and make sure there is no sign of the infection since they fought. I would also do 50% water change today and 50% water changes tomorrow.
How big is your tank? How many fish do you have in there? If you have more than one and if it males you need to separate them. If you have less than 4 females, or female and male you need to separate them. Because they will get territorial and fight.