Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

The Best PJ's Pets Store I've Found!

My friend and I took in an abandoned guinea yesterday, and we were wandering around the Kingsway Mall in Edmonton. I had been to another PJ's Pets and they were snobs This one however...surprised me!

They took their time with the furries, handling them, and making purposeful slow movements so not to scare the bunnies, ferrets, etc. Another employee was handling a Ball Python, and knew his stuff about the snakes! Another was handling the lovely conures, explaining how since they were just babies, they were learning "manners". The bettas, any who were sick were being pulled and treated IN PLAIN VIEW!! The cups actually had holes in the lids so they could breath (unlike petsmart here), there was not a dead fish there...

only thing that made me giggle was the fact the "female bettas" were actually male plakats :3 but other than that, heck, I'd give that store an 8.5/10 rating! :o Plus they were very good with information. at least one employee knew about one part of that store.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #2 
Silverfang

the ones we have here are horrid
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

that sucks! yeah the one petsmart I'll NEVER go to for fish. Ditsy died from ich... ICH!!! the simplest thing to get rid of for me, and she died. even though she looked very healthy and active asides a few little white bumps. which is funny, when they said "we cant sell you sick fish" and snatched the fin-rot gal right from my hand. And I doubt the back room is where they "heal" their fish (toilet's in there btw). -.-

so going to that particular store with those particular employees, was really refreshing if I lived in edmonton I totally would want to work with them!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #4 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
that sucks! yeah the one petsmart I'll NEVER go to for fish. Ditsy died from ich... ICH!!! the simplest thing to get rid of for me, and she died. even though she looked very healthy and active asides a few little white bumps. which is funny, when they said "we cant sell you sick fish" and snatched the fin-rot gal right from my hand. And I doubt the back room is where they "heal" their fish (toilet's in there btw). -.-

so going to that particular store with those particular employees, was really refreshing if I lived in edmonton I totally would want to work with them!
did you chose that fin rot gal for a specific reason? im not trying to pass any sort of judgement on you. if it were me id probably have refused the "healthy" betta on the principle that they were rude enough to take the one i wanted from me.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I wanted her for her coloring, and the fact fin rot is minor to me. it didn't reach the body, and it was just from being in a cold blue water cup that had no air holes :/ I refuse to go to that store. I dont care if they fear someone from an hour away bringing back a dead fish (I've never done that) and "lose" money (yeah a whole freaking 3 dollars, right? LOTS of money. oh my gosh.) I wanted to increase my sorority, so did everything from quarantine to still quarantining I made it very clear I wasn't going to bring her back but "no" something against "policy" aka the fish was flushed.

so, that store I found that is very good - totally getting them from there now. colorful, air, no illnesses, no icky stuff in the bottom of the cup
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #6 
Silverfang

You'd cry if you saw one of the ones here. They have an absolutely horrid wall of death. I must say that's where I got my Scuzi.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I got my four gals from the same store. their water was .75 ammonia? got suzi and sarah (both died despite a long and desperate battle to fight off advanced rot (hole in the body included) in 1.00 and 1.25 actually, any fish from that store here died or were sick... El Dorado is from another store, returned to this one, Shiloh was mauled by cichlids/gouramis, Shadow, Riddle and Maine died of the same disease.. x.x any females from that store have little to no color. and have 50/50 chance of survival - usually more like 20/80. it's "death row" here. no walls, just rows.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Our LFS sells them in vases.. cold overcrowded with sharp plastic plants.. anyways I was looking around, looked UP. There were betta fish about 7 feet up on a shelf! No one could see them to buy them, probably didn't get fed a lot since you have to climb up on a ladder! I'm tempted to go there and be like "uhh can I see those ones up there?" >__>
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

pretty tempted indeed! poor things. I pulled the fish forward in that bad petsmart so they COULD be sold. BEAUTIFUL crowntails, and some colorful VTs too! all hiding in the back...in the dark of the shelf where no one could see them.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #10 
Silverfang

Despite how horrid they are, did get a plakat, seriously, they had to have had like 4-5 plakats in a female tank.

That was also my first run in with the evil fuzzies.