Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

yikes! Yeah they had NO plakats here :o or Kings. Disappointed. been looking for a king >.>
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #12 
Silverfang

They didn't know they were plakats. I didn't realize it either until I saw him start to madly flare at the filter.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

nice! I only ever got one thing other than fish from a pet store...one guinea. After that they were all adopted I don't want to be getting any more sick animals - fish or other! >:(
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #14 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I wanted her for her coloring, and the fact fin rot is minor to me. it didn't reach the body, and it was just from being in a cold blue water cup that had no air holes :/ I refuse to go to that store. I dont care if they fear someone from an hour away bringing back a dead fish (I've never done that) and "lose" money (yeah a whole freaking 3 dollars, right? LOTS of money. oh my gosh.) I wanted to increase my sorority, so did everything from quarantine to still quarantining I made it very clear I wasn't going to bring her back but "no" something against "policy" aka the fish was flushed.

so, that store I found that is very good - totally getting them from there now. colorful, air, no illnesses, no icky stuff in the bottom of the cup
its a shame. if the employees even learned 1 darned thing about treatment options then they might've realised the fish could be saved by someone who actually knew something about betta.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #15 
Silverfang

Please, they don't even know to clean the water (seriously, cloudy/foggy water and you don't get it?).
Old 03-16-2012, 03:12 AM   #16 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Please, they don't even know to clean the water (seriously, cloudy/foggy water and you don't get it?).
i do understand. they're misinformed by their company branch trainers when they started the job. add to that they dont give a damn about "boring" fish that love "dirty" water. next thing they know is that they have caused the fish to become sick from improper care and dont give a damn to put any sort of effort to heal it. they just find it convenient to kill the fish ie flush it down because they know they'll get another 20+ new ones in a week or 2.

even if there is 1-2 good employees that know anything about betta care and treatment they are limited to treatment because the others dont care/know. they can only do what they can on their shift and maybe a fellow misinformed employee will put their good intentions to waste on their off days.

it may be a bit too much to ask for regarding misinformed stores and employees but its the sad reality that they dont put much care and emotion into any sort of animal that doesnt have any fur or one they cant actually hold in their hands. they may even be in that job position just for the money and slack off all they can without giving a darn about any sort of lifeform but themselves.

Last edited by nel3; 03-16-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #17 
Silverfang

Far too true nel.

I went in one SAturday and they had oh, 40-50? "females" in a tank. Next week there were maybe a dozen left, and one that was completely fur encased. I pointed it out and I just got a blank look.

I simply choose to blame them for the outbreaks of fuzz I've gotten.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

to me, even though this town store is junk for blue bettas (all of which have died (males that is), even when Shadow ALMOST pulled through!) and I LOVE my blue bettas, I would choose them for the colorless blah females, over that petsmart 1/2 surviving isn't really a ratio I like. at least for mine, it was 4/6 surviving and that was pretty good! and Tina is still kicking despite her senile Zebra gal attacking her o_O

(quick question.. back end of her body is bloody, so I guess an open wound. there's white fuzz everywhere on her so now I know it is more than slime coat! AQ salt ok?)
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #19 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Far too true nel.

I went in one SAturday and they had oh, 40-50? "females" in a tank. Next week there were maybe a dozen left, and one that was completely fur encased. I pointed it out and I just got a blank look.

I simply choose to blame them for the outbreaks of fuzz I've gotten.
theres a local pet store that is decent but there is finrot and the occasional dead betta (3 so far in the past year i noticed). the employee doesnt really pay attention if there are some dead ones until i pointed them out. i'll still purchase from that store though only those taht catch my attention and are healthy. its one of the better priced stores for betta. $6-15 for a betta and its the better place to get HM as the other store wants an extra $10 for a double tail/HM ($25 W/O tax). im just glad i dont have any viable location for a 5th fish.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #20 
Sena Hansler

haha! I wanted to get a crowntail male but I cannot until all quarantines and illnesses are handled. Even then I'll be going to that one pet store that is the best I have found so far =D