Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #21 
revolutionrocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax84 View Post
Don't lay on the floor with the dog, especially with a dominant puppy. Making it clear in her mind that the floor is for dogs and the chairs/couch/etc. ifs for people will make your job much easier over the next 6 mo.
I don't agree with this at all. The puppy's not going to understand or care about this. If you don't want her on furniture, never let her on furniture and praise/reward her when she lays or sits on the ground near you when you're sitting on the couch or something. My family has two couches and my dog's allowed on one and not the other and she knows that because we trained her to only go on one.
If she sees you on the ground, she's not going to think that she's dominant. The dominance theory is false. It's a desperate attempt of humans developed in the... I believe 40's to explain everything dogs do with one convenient explanation. It's outdated and if it weren't for Cesar Millan, people wouldn't be using it anymore. Dogs DON'T think like that.
If she's in the living room and you go in the living room, she's not going to think she's dominant over you just because you went to the same room she's in.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #22 
Aus

Sorry, I must add: your dog has been alive for a total of 98 days. At this stage, her bladder is an infant's, and so is her mind. Pups can continue needing guidance for housetraining until they are 6 months old.

This is a brilliant site, with a pile of good approaches to house training (the rest of the puppy articles are mostly very good, too and well worth looking at):

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIP...setraining.php

I can't recommend 'puppy school' highly enough, to help deal with any actual dominance issues.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #23 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yes, I plan on weaning her off the treats pretty soon..

Tethering so far consists of high pitched whining and pulling me :(
Discourage the whining and pulling. Give her a mental stimuli toy and give her praise for being quiet. Pet her, play with her. Find something that captures her attention.
I imagine she is a bit bored watching you play on the computer.

In my experience with dominant dogs, keep your head higher than theirs. When you lay on the floor with them, do not expose your stomach or open your legs.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 03-14-2012 at 09:02 PM.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #24 
FishyFishy89

I agree Aus. Training classes would benefit you and your puppy GREATLY.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This is why dog training is so confusing.
I do believe there is such thing as a dog with a stronger will and one without. I'm more interested in training since she's a Dobie and I know these dogs can have a lot of problems if not trained and stimulated enough.
I am looking into puppy classes, more to socialize than to train.. she is very shy of new people and very energetic dogs. I know being shy is just as bad as being aggressive.. We do have one good canine "school" (I don't really trust the pet smart one as much..) And I think I shall see about doing it on weekends :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #26 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
This is why dog training is so confusing.
I do believe there is such thing as a dog with a stronger will and one without. I'm more interested in training since she's a Dobie and I know these dogs can have a lot of problems if not trained and stimulated enough.
I am looking into puppy classes, more to socialize than to train.. she is very shy of new people and very energetic dogs. I know being shy is just as bad as being aggressive.. We do have one good canine "school" (I don't really trust the pet smart one as much..) And I think I shall see about doing it on weekends :)
I've worked at PetsMart and their classes are pretty decent.
Really depends on the trainer tho.
Mine had 2 trainers, 1 didn't work 1 on 1 with her students. The other did. If money is an issue, I'd run to your nearest PetsMart and watch the classes. Watch how the trainers organize the "students" and teach how to teach commands. The most common way to teach commands and tricks is luring with treats.
I use this method in the very beginning of teaching commands and tricks. But once my dogs get the gist I start reducing the "lure".
Old 03-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #27 
Hanky

Puppy training is tough, it seems there is as many different ways to train a dog as there is breeds.lol. Remember she is still just a young pup and now is the time to instill your training, training classes will do you well, often us humans need as much training as our dogs. as for the peeing does it seem like she drinks excessive amounts of water? Or does it seems she pees alot more than she should be? You should rule out bladder problems first such as UTI. One trick I always try with any dogs I meet or raise is to get them to let me scratch their belly, they really love that and I believe it lets both of us know that I am in charge and I can be trusted.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #28 
Hanky

Almost forgot, Check with your vet about training classes, in my town there is actually a church that has a trainer come in twice a month for free classes, I saw the sign at my vets office.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #29 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
Almost forgot, Check with your vet about training classes, in my town there is actually a church that has a trainer come in twice a month for free classes, I saw the sign at my vets office.
agreed
my vet has their own training classes as well. They even teach agility.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #30 
lorax84

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionrocknroll View Post
I don't agree with this at all. The puppy's not going to understand or care about this. If you don't want her on furniture, never let her on furniture and praise/reward her when she lays or sits on the ground near you when you're sitting on the couch or something. My family has two couches and my dog's allowed on one and not the other and she knows that because we trained her to only go on one.
If she sees you on the ground, she's not going to think that she's dominant. The dominance theory is false. It's a desperate attempt of humans developed in the... I believe 40's to explain everything dogs do with one convenient explanation. It's outdated and if it weren't for Cesar Millan, people wouldn't be using it anymore. Dogs DON'T think like that.
If she's in the living room and you go in the living room, she's not going to think she's dominant over you just because you went to the same room she's in.
I never claimed I was a professional dog trainer, but it worked for my dog who was a lot like OP's dog as a puppy. I actually let my dog on the couch now (she's 5) but when she was very young I did not. It solved A LOT of problems very quickly once I started doing it. I don't necessarily think dominance theory training is right for all dogs, but I know it worked for my dog.

I'd be curious to know what type of dog you have though. Different types of dogs (working, water, guard/dominant) benefit greatly from training targeted to their breed. I wouldn't suggest dominance theory based training for a lab or a collie, but if you have a rottweiler, pit, Doberman, aikida, etc. it's irresponsible (IMO) not to at least look at dominance theory.

Edit: one more thing before I get out of this thread. I'm not sure if anyone said it, but if you want to be able to go to parks where other dogs are around start socializing her with other dogs now. Take it from someone who waited almost a year to start really socializing his dog. It's much easier when they are very little.

Last edited by lorax84; 03-14-2012 at 09:47 PM.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote