Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 12:13 PM   #1 
Jaymaloid

foggy water

water perameters are ok
temp a little low 75
no matter what tank we put him in the water goes foggy, he has 1 brother and 1 sister who can live in any of the tanks we put him into witout issues well there was a little stress but that cleared up.. this steel blue P viel has never shown stress when he was in heated tank 25 gallon, at 82 the tank again fogged, his diet is BettaMin and dried blood worms (every few days as treat) same as the other 2
any ideas?
I have on 2 occations used Ebsom salts but it changed nothing have tried to change tanks over the last month 5 different tanks same results, 2 ...1 gal, 1 1.5 gal 1 2 gal, 1 10 gal, and 1 25 gal, the 2 larger are filtered
Jaymaloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

Hmm... Fill out the form on the sticky, hold on I misread your post!

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

How about a picture? There could be a few reasons it could get foggy
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 
mjoy79

could be a long shot... but what kind of substrate do you use? I've found the really cheap white gravel can make tanks foggy. Or perhaps a plant? I had foggy water in a tank a few months ago and it turned out to be live plants I was keeping in there. (i had purchased them from Petsmart)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #4 
Jaymaloid

not great at pics yet
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2011, 01:37 PM   #5 
Jaymaloid

as for stones and plants I have tried several different combo's and they are fine with the other 2 but not with this little guy, his name is stinky (before the water started being foggy) and he is living up to his name.. could that be it should we change his name?
Old 10-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

After 5 tank changes, I think it's safe to say that the type of tank isn't the problem. It could be the dired blood worms. I know that can cloud up water over time. It could also be dust from the gravel you are using. If it is cheap then you may have to rinse it a few times. The final possiblity is time. It could just take time for the dust to settle to the bottom and the water to clear.

Unless there is something really wrong with the water, I would let it be foggy and wait to see if it clears up over time. If you are really annoyed by it you can do multiple water changes until it clears up. I also noticed that his stomach is a bit on the big sized. Did he just finish eating before you took the picture? If not, it could be a simple case of crashed water quality. If he isn't eating all his food or it makes him bloat, you can cut back the treats to once a week instead of 3 times a week.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the cloudy water more than the bloating. If I'm wrong and the tummy just looks big because of the angle, then nevermind. But if he is bloated then he is definitely getting too many dried blood worms or he can't digest them. Maybe switching to frozen or live bloodworms could help.

If none of that works, then I'm out of ideas. Can you ignore the fogginess if the parameters are good? :(
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #7 
Jaymaloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
After 5 tank changes, I think it's safe to say that the type of tank isn't the problem. It could be the dired blood worms. I know that can cloud up water over time. It could also be dust from the gravel you are using. If it is cheap then you may have to rinse it a few times. The final possiblity is time. It could just take time for the dust to settle to the bottom and the water to clear.

Unless there is something really wrong with the water, I would let it be foggy and wait to see if it clears up over time. If you are really annoyed by it you can do multiple water changes until it clears up. I also noticed that his stomach is a bit on the big sized. Did he just finish eating before you took the picture? If not, it could be a simple case of crashed water quality. If he isn't eating all his food or it makes him bloat, you can cut back the treats to once a week instead of 3 times a week.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the cloudy water more than the bloating. If I'm wrong and the tummy just looks big because of the angle, then nevermind. But if he is bloated then he is definitely getting too many dried blood worms or he can't digest them. Maybe switching to frozen or live bloodworms could help.

If none of that works, then I'm out of ideas. Can you ignore the fogginess if the parameters are good? :(
TY will try these and new to Betta of course I could not tell if he is boated or not.. I will keep trying and hope fog disapates
Old 03-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 
reeree528

mine just turned foggy too.. just bought my little guy a couple days ago. (poseidon :]) im so very proud of him...but i bought a live plant for him yesterday...and by last night..my water was foggy...does this mean i have to take the plant out? i hope not..he seems to be very very fond of it :] . help please...first time betta owner :]
reeree528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

This thread is 5 months old.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sick betta?