Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 
wystearya

Unhappy Lethargic, sick or just adjusting?

OK, here we go:

I have a 5 gallon tank, currently NOT cycled or filtered >> I have a sponge filter & air pump on the way from Amazon.com.

I have a couple of live plants.

I do have a heater, temp stays about 76 degrees.

I have one new male betta in this tank.

Yesterday I tested the water:
pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5ppm (this is from my tap water, as it matched the tank results exactly)

--------

I got my new Betta over the weekend. The first couple of days he was *very* active and flaring a lot at his reflection. To keep this to a minimum, I taped some blue/green paper over the one corner so he wouldn't just stay there an flare all day. :P

Anyway, for the past two days he has been quite inactive. :/ He sits at the bottom most of the time. He will swim quickly to the top, take a breath, and then zoom back to the bottom. Occasionally he will swim for a minute or two around the tank at a normal speed. Mostly he is at the bottom 'hiding' behind or inside a plastic decoration I have in there for him. Or underneath an oak leaf that I also have in the tank.

>>He is now also not eating. - I was feeding HBH Betta Bites & frozen bloodworms. Either 3 pellets or one worm a feeding, fed him 2-3 times a day. Since he is not full grown I wanted him to eat plenty, but maybe I overfed..?

I'm not sure what is wrong! He does not look ill. He did blow out his fins a bit, as he has a few tiny pin-holes in them from all the flaring. (Moonstone is his name and he is a half-moon.)

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Maybe just wait and watch? He seems fine other than being inactive and the slightly blown fins. I wonder if he is just adjusting to his new home or maybe he is bloated..? His belly doesn't look overly large to me, I can try to get a picture tonight if need be.

Thanks for any help!
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 
edroso91

im also in the same situation as you /: i just got a blue male crowntail and he just lays in the bottom of his tank i have a female betta as well but every time i go into my room she's happy to see me, so im a bit conserned i hope he is just adjusting
edroso91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #3 
wystearya

I'm sorry your having trouble too.

I hope someone here can give some advice. <3
Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 
littlegreen

I have almost this same problem as well!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #5 
wystearya

Well, I know this isn't an emergency like some other people have, but I really hope someone will reply with advice...
Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 
BettasRpeople2

Well, I am far from an expert and have only had my own fish for a couple of months. However, it sounds to me like you may need to give him a few days to settle in and see if his behavior improves. The new environment can be stressful, and they all seem to respond differently. Hopefully he just needs to adjust to his new home.

Perhaps someone who knows more than I do will have more advice, but I think I would just give him some time to see if he improves.
BettasRpeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 
GVeers

Interesting...I have a somewhat similar situation as well. My betta now frequently stops moving, either settling at the bottom of the tank or among the floating plants. He eats normally, and reacts to me as long as I make big enough movements. But he certainly does not get as excited as he used to.

All the water tests graded out well though pH is a little high (7.6). Temp 80 degrees. There were two recent environment changes: getting a bristlenose pleco (it's a 10 gallon) and a piece of mopani wood that is leaking some tannins (after being boiled multiple times).

As the OP says, it's not an emergency situation or anything, but it's a little disconcerting and I do love my betta so.
GVeers is offline   Reply With Quote