Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #1 
AquaKai

Arrow What Is It?

I've never had to deal with fish illness before so this is a first. My betta Little Devil has some fin issues. Here's a picture:

The water parameters:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: <5ppm
pH: around 7

I have just done another PWC. Yesterday I did a 10-25% water change, the fin got worse and I did a 90% water change today. Ahhhhh!!!! What's up? All that's in there with him are 7 chili rasboras. It's an 8g tank. The temperature is usually 78-80F but I upped it a little so now it's 83F-ish.

I don't know if it's tail biting, fin rot or something else. There seems to be no red or brown stuff on the edges. Please help Little Devil!!!

Last edited by AquaKai; 03-13-2012 at 08:42 PM.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #2 
AquaKai

Here let me fill this out, maybe it'll help:
Housing
What size is your tank? 8g
What temperature is your tank?Usually 78F-80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?Just a filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 7 chili rasboras

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, sometimes he catches fish flakes, frozen bloodworms occasionally (maybe once or twice a week I give him 3-4)
How often do you feed your betta fish?Everyday except Sundays to give him a fasting day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week religiously!
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?I cange about 15-20% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add Prime water conditioner everytime I change water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:>5ppm
pH: 7ish
Hardness: ----
Alkalinity: -----

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Parts of his tail have gone away.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all, maybe a little more reserved but nothing much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Just a 80-90% PWC and I've turned up the heat a bit.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?Never, none of my bettas have ever been sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2-3 months ago I got him, so whatever he was plus 3 months
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #3 
carotid

tail biting

seems like hes stressed and biting his tail
carotid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 
Mo

From the picture that you have provided us with, the tail doesn't looks as if it doesn't have any black edges or has a fuzzy white appearance. So depicting from the picture what you are experiencing is most likely tail biting. Which is very common for most bettas to encounter as they have large tails. Whenever I encounter this issue with my bettas I usually just re-arrange the decorations and it seems to improve the bettas problem and drastically change it to where he doesn't seem to tailbiting any more.
Usually when bettas tailbite they are stressed for some reason, and with him constantly nipping at his tail caused from stress he will most likely have a weak immune system which means he will be defenseless against diseases so just keep an eye on him for any problems and maintain water quality
Just one more note, the problem you are having could also be from plastic plants ripping his fins, or nipping from the chili rasboras (boraras brigittae) but the fish combination you have typically works without any aggression amongst the fish themselves. But plastic ripping the fins is still a possibility as plastic plants are notorious for ripping and shredding fins

Last edited by Mo; 03-14-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote