Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #1 
Zero186

Case of Fin Rot

My girlfriend's betta has fin rot. He was living in a 1g cube with a plant and no heater,and she lives in dorm rooms that stay around 75. well this was enough of a panic for her to upgrade his setup to a new 2.5g, and to get a heater (which is coming soon). but until he is better he is staying with me so I can keep an eye on him.

When she first noticed I went and started salt water treatments 1tsp per gallon of water and did a 100% every 2 days for the first week. he has been more active and happier in his new home. He has been eating normally every day. the fins are frayed and have white and what looks like black spots. I have treated for 10 days and haven't seen any improvement and wondering what should be the next step.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g
What temperature is your tank? 76
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? just by the heat in the room
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? no

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets two times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aqua Aquasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? na

How old is your fish (approximately)? have owned for 4-5 weeks before fin rot occurred

Any ideas on the next course of treatment?
Attached Images

Last edited by Zero186; 03-14-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #2 
Mo

From the provided picture it doesn't look like a case of fin rot, as fin rot usually shows up in a fuzzy white appearance on the edge of the fins, or a black edging to the fins. In the situation I don't see any indicating properties on the bettas tail that could how any signs of a disease, the problem looks more like a case of tailbiting, which is very common in bettas and there is no sign of sure treatment that will almost definitely work, there are a wide range of applicable procedures to continue or begin with, some are

-moving decorations
-adding things to entertain the Betta
-"clipping" a bettas tail, I highly advise that you don't do this though as it is very disturbing procedure
-new things into the tank or into the diet as it will be much more interest and not as bored

There are no sure causes but some highly thought of ones seem to be stressful conditions and water quality

-constant moving from home to home, or sudden moving From home to home
-stressful, nippy, intimidating tankmates
-large fins, and constantly dragging them around
-not enough places to rest, this is especially common in high tanks as the Betta will struggle to swim up and down so it should ideally have places to rest
-bad water parameters
-not enough cover, most bettas like to feel secure and will tailbite when insecure

The ones listed above are just the main, most common causes, there a many more thought of causes but as I said before no one knows exactly why they tailbite

Last edited by Mo; 03-15-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
Zero186

He had very round fins when we first got him, but what made me think of fin rot was the black areas in the breaks of the fins. The environment he was living in 10 days ago I could understand tail biting cause. I will keep an eye on him and see if I can do anything else to improve his situation in the tank.

Thank you
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #4 
Mo

Your welcome I'm glad to help, I hope he clears up soon, From experience I know that it's a pain to see your bettas like this and I hope he gets better. Tell us when and if he does
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote