Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #1 
littlemermaid

Exclamation Rescue needs help!

So I brought a new little guy home today but he is in rough shape. His cup was so filthy I just could not leave him there. He has some fin rot or at least the begining of fin rot with black ends to his fins and some curling. What concerns me more is the bits of red on his fins. I am going to try to post some pictures I hope it works! I've got him in clean 80 degree water with aq salt and stress coat to treat, what else can/should I do for him? He is swiming ok and ate 2 pellets.

littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #2 
lexylex0526

Not sure what the red dots are, but seems like you are doing everything right to ensure that he will be healthy and happy! And it is a plus that he actually ate and is swimming around. Most fish don't swim and eat at first when they are first put in their new homes. From looking at the pic he seems just a little skinny, so I'd monitor his eating. Other than that I think you've got everything covered! :) Congrats on ur new lil guy!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 
Luimeril

the red dots seem to be dalmatian spotting, almost. he looks fine to me. :V glad he's in such loving hands!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #4 
littlemermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
the red dots seem to be dalmatian spotting, almost. he looks fine to me. :V glad he's in such loving hands!
That crossed my mind but I wanted to be sure especially given his goop covered cup! A little fin rot we should be able to handle
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #5 
IndeedPanda

Thank you for resquing him! You seem to be on par with the advice given for fin rot- I'd add that you gotta change the water a lot more than with a healthy fish, but I bet you know that. You have such a gorgeous veil tail!

Oh, does he have a hiding space? Hiding spaces and plants (silk or real) reduce stress in fish. You could add tetracycline to the tank and then Betta-max for a month once he's better- but that's probably best saved for emercengies such as if your current treatment does not seem to be working.

Last edited by IndeedPanda; 03-06-2012 at 09:04 PM.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 
littlemermaid

Yeah I will up the water changes and I have a filter I will hook up later on when I am sure he is all good :) Here are his digs, before and now. It's a little bare but I wanted to hurry and get him out of that cup!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #7 
Thomasdog

Oh EWWW!!! Lucky little guy! He is very forchanate to get a great owner like you!!!
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #8 
iceyrose

Awe..fait shur brought u and ur bettas together in the nice of time " good luck & best of wishes
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 
littlemermaid

Thanks guys I am definately glad I brought him home! He is still on the mends with the fin rot but he doesn't seem to be in any real danger. I do have another question. You can't really tell in the picture but he also has a few streaks on his fins that look algae stained green and I'm pretty sure it's just not his color. Should I treat this any differently? Also his fins don't seem to be shrinking just really ragged at the ends like when I got him, should I continue the salt treatment? I did a 100% change today and added more stress coat along with Tetra Aqua Safe and Tetra Easy Balance (do I need both? I've always used both because thats what my mom bought when I was younger) Thanks guys! I (and he) really appreciate all your help!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #10 
Luimeril

oh, ew.... dunno if that's just rotting food, or algae! Dx that's one gross cup. x: his new tank looks great! :D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote