Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
Sly13Cat

Question Want to learn more about Breeding Bettas...

So I've been doing research on breeding Bettas and now I know a lot more than I used to. For example I used to think that you needed a 20 or 30 gallon minimum to breed Bettas but now I know that they can be bred in a 10 gal. I also know:
- How to feed the fry
- How to condition the Bettas
- Culling
- And The Basics...

I wanted to see if anyone here had any more information. I wondered what I could feed the fry instead of live food. Would frozen brine shrimp do? Also, where would you find a good pair of Halfmoon Bettas locally bred in Canada. Would Halfmoons from the LFS (Big Al's) do? Also, how long or how much work would it take to breed a fish like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKH7Q...eature=related
Could I breed a fish like that starting from pet store fish?

One final question, if I wanted to could I cull some newborn Betta fry to Meat Eating fish because I only want about 10 or so from a batch. I plan on breeding not in the near future but maybe in a few years or so but I wanted to know what I need to buy and basic information.
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #2 
tpocicat

If you get a REALLY GOOD male and female, you could get really good fry in as little as 2-3 spawnings, using only the best you have. Another thing, if you cull the fry when they are still newborn, how do you know if you are culling your best or not? I think you really need to think this over more.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
Sly13Cat

Exclamation What if...

What if I have too many bad full grown bettas and I don't know what to do with them if I can't find anyone to accept them? I could never kill them...
Also, how long would it take with store bought bettas?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 
tpocicat

With store bought bettas, you never know what their background is. You also don't know how old the betta is. It is harder to get good spawns with older fish. The fish can look wonderful, but you don't know what recessives they carry. You will get colors you didn't expect, and tail types too.
When a baby betta is about 3-4 months old, you should be able to judge how good it is. Some will die on their own in the first few days.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #5 
Sly13Cat

Question Also...

So by the time they're 3-4 months will they still be small enough to feed to other fish easily? If I can't how do I cull them without um... Killing them.

Also, is there any good Halfmoon local breeders (Canada) or (Ontario).
Old 03-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 
tpocicat

I use oscars, but I would never recommend culling perfectly healthy bettas for any reason. I just don't breed the ones I can't sell or give away if I don't believe they are good enough for further breeding.

There are breeders in Canada, you can find them on Aquabid, and there are a few on this forum.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #7 
Sly13Cat

Breeding...

Well I don't plan on starting a elaborate breeding operation. Just maybe a spawn or 2 to see if I could get any nice looking Bettas and try to sell them. For example, if I got a spawn of say... 200 fry what would the final result of living fish be? Would a spawn of that size justify a small amount of culling? I also wanted to know what size jar a fry could live in. Would a normal pet store jar be a good temporary solution?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #8 
tpocicat

It really depends on how healthy the fry are. Sometimes you can lose almost the whole spawn. Usually it's more like 30% are lost due to ill health or other weaknesses.
For jarring, a gallon or 1/2 gallon jar are recommended, of course they need to be cleaned every day or every other day. IMO the pet store jar is way too small.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #9 
Sly13Cat

Exclamation

So a .5 gallon for each? So for a spawn of 50, 50 .5 gallons!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #10 
Mo

Only males, or overly aggresive females should be separated, the rest should stay in the grow out tank of atleast 20 gallons
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breeding, halfmoon