Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
Pod

Plakat or Female?

Well, today I obtained two 'female' betta's for my 10-gallon to be sorority tank. Upon placing them into the tank, the two went at eachother like Male betta's. I removed them and cupped them into their cups and floated them. No injuries had occured, thankfully, but now after reading about how Petco[which is where I got them] often mislabels their females as different tail types, or even go as far as to sell an Immature plakat male.

My question is, is their a way to tell the different between female crowntail betta, or a female partial VT/CT? The partial one is a VT that has the fin attributes of a CT, but, still has the attributes of a VT. Quite interesting.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Post a picture and I'll be able to tell you :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #3 
Pod

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...34268726_n.jpg
Here is one of the 'females', whom has vertical stripes on its side,
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...24952063_n.jpg It should also be noted that this female also had vertical stripes on its side. The nipped fin from the first one is from the combat with the CT/VT female
Old 03-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #4 
MrVampire181

Well they're both plakat females (slight ray extensions and rounder fins) and may be slightly more aggressive.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #5 
Pod

Oh wow, thanks. I was so concerned when they both decided it would be nice to duke it out like two males. Thanks a lot for the help. I dislike how petco mislabels things. They were labeled as VT females.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #6 
bettalover2000

You should have at least 4 females to start a sorority. 6 or more is better. They're very pretty, I love PKs.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #7 
vilmarisv

You can float their cups in the tank for a couple of days so they get used to eachother and don't attack. It has worked really well for me with agressive females.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #8 
lvandert

lol I went in there the other day looking for plants and found "double tails" that were just plakats or young deltas. I laughed! Silly pet stores!
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 
Pod

I have 6 females for my sorority, just, three are isollated. I left them in their cups for 3 days, a week for my oldest female, and then put them back in.

The plakats, since they were the ones who were put in before my oldest VT female, procedded to fight eachother like there was no tomorrow. So, i put my VT in. Sure enough, she did what i hoped, and brought one of the plakats down to size, asserting that she will be the only one to push the others around.

In truth, it was a dangerous choice, but, after a quick spar, the older VT had brought the violet Plakat to submission. Now the older VT is chasing everyone else. I intend her to show the other plakat who is the true boss of the tank, then, put the VT back into her cup.

This all is going down in the 6 gallon tank, as the 10 gallon won't be here until April 2nd. The older VT pretty much is the tyrant and ruler of the tank. When shes in there, there is no flaring, no fighting. Just submission. Quite fun to watch, not the fighting part. That is bad.

The main reason i put her into the tank is because the plakats were going at eachother like wild animals. They werent flaring, just tail-slapping and fighting pretty much. Wether or not this was to show whos boss, I wasn't gonna allow one fish to die because the other thought it was superior.

She will only be there to make the others remember whos the true boss, then, she will be re-isolatted.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

If she's already alpha she needs to stay. Alpha fish keep everyone in line, remove the alpha and everyone fights.

This video explains it well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXoDkLhb6Tk