Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

The area has changed very little even when I look at it now. It may be a bit larger but nothing more than a .5 mm. I'm not sure if I see any cauliflowering. He's a very active fish, and it's a very tiny spot. Getting him to stand still so I can shine the flashlight directly on it and get the magnifying glass at the perfect angle is basically impossible. As a precaution I have started him on a salt treatment.

Oddly enough when I shine a flashlight on his right side caudal peduncle (thing is on the left) I can see a pinky circle where the discoloration is.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Right now, regardless of whether it's an external parasite, lymphocystis or anything else, a salt treatment is probably the best thing you can for him. Since his behavior is still normal, the salt should really help curtail any further problems.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Today was my 7th day of salt, and it appeared to do nothing. I removed the salt today and tried to get some better pictures. Using copperarabian's idea of putting the fish in direct sunlight and macro settings on the camera, I was able to get much better shots of this thing. I'm still not seeing any cauliflower-like growth. He is still as feisty as ever.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #14 
Sakura8

It looks like it could still possibly be lympho or maybe argulus (fish lice). The odd thing about it being argulus is that one, there's only one parasite and two, the salt didn't work. I'm leaning toward lymphocystis mainly because he's still acting normal. It's possible the spot doesn't look cauliflowery because it's quite small.

If you want to be on the extra safe side and try a medication, I'd suggest either General Cure, Hikari HealthAid PraziPro, or Seachem ParaGuard. Those are all effective for external parasites which, next to lympho, is the most likely cause of a growth/spot like that. But there's also the possibility it's a tumor too. I'd say if the spot doesn't change at all (either growing bigger or growing smaller) after a few months, it's a tumor.

I am pretty sure it's not an ulcer or sore associated with columnaris or fish TB, though. If it was, his behavior would be different and the spots would be growing and spreading.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Well it looks like the poor boy is going to be spending the next few months in a kritter keeper. I don't want to risk putting him back in the divided tank.

Speaking of the divided tank, would it be safe to put another betta in it? I've got a little white plakat male that I picked up (betta bug buy) who has been living in a breeder net in my 29 gal. Can I put him in the divided tank that used to house my afflicted betta? The other betta hasn't shown any signs of infection.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #16 
Pataflafla

I'd do a quarantine period with your new boy before adding him to the divided tank. Just to be sure he doesn't spread anything, but I don't think he'll catch anything after being added to the divided tank.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Oh don't worry; I did quarantine him. I've had him now for about 3 weeks, 2 of which were in quarantine. Glad to know he can safely go in the divided tank. He's not happy in the breeder net. No snails for him to attack. He's a little monster.