Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #1 
MadameDesu

Betta Fighting ... WHY?!

There have probably been threads about this, but I've always wondered how people justified betta fights ... it especially hit me when I watched this video:
http://youtu.be/w3pOeEFOCaw

This guy keeps his fighters in jars, and the water is SO cloudy with many pieces of god-knows-what floating inside.

Is this the life of a fighter betta? Living in their own toilet for months only to be ripped up in fights for someone's entertainment.
This really bummed me out.

-MadameDesu
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 AM   #2 
Jnguy073

Well they are called Siamese Fighting Fishes for a reason, they fight to defend their territory. Their origination in Asia, they are mainly used for Fighting as its a way of entertainment. I mean, yes it is cruel, but its also nature. Everything fights, everything defends for oneself. Its all natural selection.
Jnguy073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #3 
Silverfang

Just wanted to post a friendly reminder, videos depicting cruelty to animals (yes fish fighting each other included), are not permitted.

Just a heads up.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #4 
MadameDesu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
Just wanted to post a friendly reminder, videos depicting cruelty to animals (yes fish fighting each other included), are not permitted.

Just a heads up.
Oh shoot! I didn't know! Well, this video doesn't have any fighting, just poor living conditions If it needs to be taken down, that's fine. My apologies!

I understand WHY they fight, but I don't understand how people can justify using them for those purposes ...
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #5 
Silverfang

For the why, some people don't care, and some, are just terrible, cruel people.

It happens. Dirty living conditions haven't been labeled as off limits.... if they were there wouldn't be any horrible homes threads.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnguy073 View Post
Well they are called Siamese Fighting Fishes for a reason, they fight to defend their territory. Their origination in Asia, they are mainly used for Fighting as its a way of entertainment. I mean, yes it is cruel, but its also nature. Everything fights, everything defends for oneself. Its all natural selection.
I don't mean to call you out, but this is something that bothers me: people using nature to justify things like this. If we are going to look to nature for our moral compass then things like rape, infanticide, murder, and stealing are completely justified because they happen all the time in "nature." Just something to think about before you say: it's just nature.

Natural selection isn't about who is the strongest wins. It's who ever can pass on their DNA best, wins. Sometimes this is about pure fighting but a lot of the times species have developed countermeasures where a male will sneak his DNA into a breeding. There are a lot of cases like this in the fish world. I can't remember the name of the cichlid, but there is one where males are found in two forms, a larger dominant and a smaller subordinate. The larger dominant males keep harems and the smaller males sneak into the harems to mate with females. So the biggest and best fighter doesn't always win. In the phrase "survival of the fittest," the word "fittest" doesn't mean strongest, it means best adapted to the current environment.

Another thing: our tanks aren't natural. While we try to make them as natural as possible they don't come close to their true environment. I remember hearing that in the wild, bettas just nip and the loser runs off. The only fight to death because they are in confined areas where they can't escape.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #7 
EverythingNice55

Bettas are Siamese Fighting Fish.... Fighting is in their title.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Plus our splendens have been selectively bred for centuries to fight! Especially males.. It's a cruel bloodsport, like dog fights, rooster fights, bull baiting etc.. People even fight spiders and crickets in Asia and South America.
This is why it is easier to keep -certain- wild betta together in male/female groups. Wild betta that are most aggressive don't survive, like koimaiden said, it's best adapted.. We remove the need for survival skills and selectively breed to fight them. In fact, a species like our splendens, that fight this badly, would likely die off in the wild, since it is REALLY impractical for animals to be constantly maiming their own kind.

WHY people fight them.. well it's entertainment, and in some cases gambling.. Some people have this stupid need to watch other things hurt each other. Actually a lot of people enjoy seeing things suffer, it's been proven.. NORMAL people just go watch a horror movie instead though. I mean, I love a good horror movie ;)
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #9 
Leeniex

The same reason sick people like dog fights or cock fights. People suck.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I gotta agree with Leeneix there