Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #21 
LionCalie

Owning a fighter animal (fish, dog, whatever) and actually fighting said animal are two very different things.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

but you contribute to the fighting breed don't you? although, dogs were bred a LONG time ago mainly to protect. Not fight each other.

Or in the case of a bulldog another more vicious sport tagging a bull and a dog against each other. Talk about unfair :/ and cruel. To either animal. The guy I was with before, wanted chickens, rabbits and cows for slaughter. Here's me: "NUU DON'T KILL SALLY MAY!!" I'm a sucker for animals. Sure I'll eat them (chicken and cow only, no pork...blech) but I cannot kill or watch them be killed. (Unless I am on a stranded island and need to survive.)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #23 
LionCalie

If you buy directly from someone who fights their fish, yes. However, there are ways to have a fighter animal without supporting the fighting industry. For example: Adopting a previously fought dog from a rescue.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

Ok ok lol. Well, Fighter fish are bred directly from fighting - otherwise they'd be just plakat bettas - not Fighters (or so I was told haha). I just want healthy fish, personally. haha. And I plant to get a rottie (or a pitbull) from a shelter - no home breeders, or breeders.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #25 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

-this is going to be the pitbull thread all over again- D:
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Fighter Bettas - the Pitbulls of the Betta World?

just kidding. I've never met a bad pitbull. Meanie bettas, sure >.> I'm surprised Shiloh my scarface VT hasn't killed my non-suicidal colorful long finned guppy!!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #27 
MrVampire181

Dogs are different in the sense that they're smarter and larger. I love pits and I'm against fighting them but bettas I really don't care what a breeder decides to breed or do.

All domestic splendens are from fighting lines. We owe our hobby to breeders who raised these fish to fight. Also fighter breeders raise the toughest, strongest fish and their methods are used by show breeders like me.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #28 
LionCalie

Betta fish were originally domesticated back when fighting animals was hugely popular and socially acceptable. So it makes sense that is what they were primarily used for. However, most of the Betta fish of today that we keep as pets were bred primarily for their beauty.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #29 
Luimeril

also, betta fighters treat their fighters like kings. they get the best food and care you can imagine. after teh battle(which is NOT to the death, btw. just until one submits), they're treated for their wounds and live in warm IAL water.

my own plakat is 2 years old. she's my healthiest betta by far. why? because Plakats aren't bred for looks. only winners are bred, so they're healthier.

while i disagree with fighting like the rest of ya'll, i respect the way they're treated when they're not fighting. i learn from that. my fin treatment tips i know, i learned from fighters. they aren't heartless humans who do it for fun. many do it to make a living.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #30 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm sure a responsible fighter wouldn't allow "scales to fly" so to speak either.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote