Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #1 
MadameDesu

Should I get a Marimo?

So I've been hearing a lot about Marimo Moss Balls lately. I was just wondering exactly what kind of benefits they provide.
I'm assuming they do something to reduce ammonia and give something for bacteria to stick on, which are both things that would be advantageous for me.
I have a 3gal Kritter Keeper with a Whisper 3i filter right now. Would I benefit from getting a moss ball?

-MadameDesu
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #2 
littlegreen

I just ordered one for my 3 gallon. : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 
MadameDesu

Where did you order it from?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #4 
brettwashere

I have seen moss balls for sale at the local pet co, around $5. I don't believe they were labeled marimo, just sold as moss balls.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #5 
MadameDesu

Aren't those the synthetic ones?
Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They run about $10 in my local petsmart.. so prices vary. I plan on ordering a few online since that is just too much o-o
The funny thing I've heard about moss balls, is that they act like their alive.. If you don't secure them, even with no current, some of them will swim around the bottom of your tank, and even climb up your tank walls o-o
They catch debris like old food and fish poop cause of this, so you can rinse it out every week.
Also.. if you get one.. you have to name it.. o-O
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #7 
Mo

There are many benefits to having marimo moss (though not actually moss) balls in your tank as well as similar plants like java moss. For one, they help maintain water quality and consume ammonia, but unless 50% of your tank is planted then it won't leave a big dent on ammonia

they are almost an interactive plant, they will be seen moving around in the tank and skidding below the surface of the water. They do this to attain to preferred conditions.

They will pick up algae and help with controlling it, most of the time it won't even grow.... Even thought hey are technically "algae" they seem to prevent it from growing

They do have a few requirements though. Like they need to be cleaned out every 1 week caused y debris pickup, along with turning onto a different side as if they stay on one side permanatly it starts to turn a brownish color

They do require some light and do much better in a dim light as in high light they seem to develop unsightly brown spots, but don't neccisarilly need any added fertilizers unless the conditions are undesirable

Last edited by Mo; 03-16-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #8 
brettwashere

These are not synthetic, just green moss balls in betta cups. Ill go back and check up on them. I thought about picking one up but went with some other plants and deco.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #9 
littlegreen

I ordered mine from ebay for like five bucks. : )
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #10 
MadameDesu

I think I may get one, if not for anything but the fact that Rosie seems bored. Maybe a new tank mate will cheer her up a bit :)