Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #1 
aidyl

Please help...Growth underside of Betta

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I have a crowntail betta. I've had him for almost two weeks now. He's been doing great. We have him in a 1 gallon betta tank. He's generally happy...swimming around. Hanging out on his leaf that floats up at the top of his tank. Coming to watch the children play when they're in the living room, or as I (or my husband) sit at the computer desk or on the couch beside the table that he sits on.
Yesterday I noticed some kind of growth on the underside of him...right under his chest area. Today it looks bigger.
What is it...and what can I do to help him. He's eating fine. His tank is clean.
Thanks
aidyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #2 
Leeniex

Can you get a picture?
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 
Mo

To me it sounds like a fungus of some sort. Is it white, and fuzzy?
Here is a bit more info on fungal diseases

Symptoms
White, or fuzzy growths on the outside of fish
Fish has become less active
Won't eat
Diluted colors
Patches of white

Treatment
This disease is very common with stressed fish and is cured with Higher levels of added salt, easing the temperature within the tank to 80 will also help as it will speed up the life cycle of the disease. If the disease progresses then invest in a high quality fungus treatment to help aid the treatment, if that doesn't work then I highly suggest that you either euthanize the fish or heavily Medicate, sterilize, and heat the temp even higher within the tank

Cause
There are many factors to what causes this specific disease but it's similar to many others.
-poor water quality, like high ammonia, and nitrites along with unecxeptable Amounts of nitrates
-stressful tankmates and constant nipping
-being battered around by flow
-not acclimated properly
-stressful housing
Are all main factors to the disease as they all lead to a lowered immune system which leaves all fish helpless towards all diseases
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #4 
aidyl

Here is a picture of him (D'Artagnan). I'm wanting to get a 5 gallon tank and for sure don't want anything to happen to him. If it does, I'll feel really bad and at fault. :(
I've learned alot by reading on this forum and know that I came into this more ignorant than not...for which I regret.
Is there anything that I can do for him to help him? If he's going to die, which all of us will be sad about, how long does he have?
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #5 
Leeniex

Oh wow, I haven't seen that before. Hopefully someone can come by and help you.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can clearly see the growth you're talking about. I'm not very knowledgeable about stuff like this. I'm going to refer you to OldFishLady. She knows about stuff like this. Is he still active and is he eating?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #7 
aidyl

Yes, he's active...still coming to side of bowl if he "hears, senses" (whatever they do to know we're in room) when the kids are in the living room playing or if I go to bowl and check on him. He has also eaten. I only feed him once a day about three - four little betta pellets.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #8 
aidyl

So last evening, I went out and got some aquarium salt, Lifeguard all-in-one treatment, and a heater for 1-3 gallon tanks. D'Artagnan is doing much better this morning. The "growth" has diminished greatly and he seems to be doing better overall. I did have to unplug the heater because the water was getting too warm. So, until I do get a 5 gallon tank for him (which is my hope), should I just monitor water temp and turn heater on as needed or will this stress him out too much? Are there any with thermostats? Thanks
Old 03-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #9 
Leeniex

Yes, there are some good ones. I leave mine on 24/7 and they always stay at 80.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

That looks really weird.. glad it's getting smaller.
Don't worry, it's not your fault for not knowing. The image of these guys doing fine in tiny cold bowls is so prevalent, a lot of people make that mistake. It's good that you came here and want to provide better for him :)
There's a decent heater you can buy at walmart, for around $15.. it's a tetra submersible, for 2-15 gallons. It's the most economic and still does a decent job for 5 gallons.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote