Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Question New Tank, Not so Happy Fish?

I put my oldest boy Ichiru in his side of a divided ten gallon a little more than a week ago. But he still has yet to perk up back to his normal self. no more bubble nests or the usual perkier what not. He doesn't show any signs of stress or disease he just seems unhappy. I already have my other betta boy ready to go in the other side this coming weekend but Im concerned with Ichiru's mellow behavior and he has some possible tail nibbling going on.

His tank is 2 degrees cooler ( at a oh so chilly 78) than his old tank, but Im not sure if that would make him sad. BUt he does seem to prefer water in the 80'ish range. But my heater is pre-programmed for 78. So I don't know how I could fix that unless I put a weaker heater in along but I dont know if thats safe.o.0

Is this type of behavior normal for being put into a bigger tank? I have it with several leafy plants and a decorative pot along with his log and leaf, but like I said he isn't using anything frivolously. Just sitting at the bottom looking depressed. Anything I can/ should do?

Last edited by ChibiShishou; 03-14-2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Additional info
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #2 
Arctic Mama

A week should be ample time for him to acclimate if it was just new surroundings, as far as my experience goes. I'd look into temperature being the issue since he doesn't sound exposed or cramped in any way.

I'd save your current heater (which sounds undersized for a ten gallon tank) for a smaller hospital tank or secondary quarters and invest in a good, adjustable heater for your new setup. I love hydors, but there are many excellent brands out there. It shouldn't run you more than $17-25 or so.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 
FishyFishy89

Id up the temp to what the last tank was at.
The temp change is likely making him unhappy.
My Spike is happy in 81-82F water. Each fish is different however.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
ChibiShishou

Hmm my heater heats up to 10 gallons but I dont think its adjustable and I dont have the funds for another heater since I spent the money to get that one... Hmmm this is a predicament! Im not too fond of taking things back and Im not sure I still have the reciept. If I cant find the reciept can I put my smaller heater(that heats up to 3 gallons) in there? WOuld that make it warmer?
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #5 
FishyFishy89

I'm not sure on putting more than 1 heater in a tank
never done it before
thought about it with my 75 gallon. manly because (what ive seen) the bigger the wattage the more chance the heater gets stuck on.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #6 
Kitdae

When i first got Kai i kept him in a 1.5 gal til i was sure he would survive (petsmart here at the time was bad with fish). he didnt move until i got a plant that took up most of the tank. guess the space bothered him, and without knowing your tank set up it could be a similar problem.
Kitdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #7 
ChibiShishou

I have a lot of foliage in there, which he seems to approve of so Im not sure its the space bothering him. Although maybe I should try taking out a plant and see if he likes it better?

Hmmm if I could do two heaters that would be rather convenient but I dont know if it would work safely.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #8 
FishyFishy89

I don't know either
I'm curious to know if it would safely work

anyone have experience with having 2 or more smaller heaters in a tank?