Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #1 
OMGemily

Exclamation ...playing dead?? please help!

Housing
What size is your tank?
5.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? not sure... somewhat cold to the touch
Does your tank have a filter? yes but i dont use it
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? the heater and the thermometer dont seem to be working... planning on returning them for better ones
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day 3-4 pellets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
once a week, last time was today
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? between 80 and 90% maybe
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? just dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
.5-1 before i changed the water today
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
since i got him 2 weeks ago his fins have started to curl, i swore there was a hole in one of them but i havent seen it the past couple days. there is something on his head that looks kind of like a grayish scale but its too big to be a scale
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he has these spaz attacks every now and then where he swims like crazy, i kept his tank light off today because it was suggested that it might be too bright (before i would turn his tank light off about an hour before i turned off my own and turn it on an hour ish after i turned mine on) i came in a few minutes ago and saw Antione sitting at the bottom of the tank, nose in the gravel. i freaked out and thought he was dead, so i turned his light on and he did about 3 laps around his tank in less than a second and then went back to resting his nose in the gravel... he usually sleeps at the top of the tank... he looks like hes swimming around like normal, but hes been acting even more weird since i changed his water
When did you start noticing the symptoms? he started freaking out occasionally maybe a week ago. i had changed his water and he was in a cup while the water got to the right temp. it wasnt any warmer about 3 hours later when i went to bed so i left him in his cup. i had to go to school the next morning so i filled a cup up with warm water and switched him to there... he started floating sideways and not really swimming... but then i realized the tank had warmed up to normal temp so i tried to gradually switch water but he was floating at the top and fell in... he swam like mormal but has been a little spaz-y since then. the playing dead thing just started today, after i changed his water again...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i just finished a treatment yesterday of melafix because i thought he had fin rot. i know this is bad for them but its all i had and i figured itd be better than doing nothing
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nothing other than what ive mentioned above
How old is your fish (approximately)? im not sure but hes pretty small. ive had him for 2 weeks
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Are you sure he didn't go through any temperature shock when you put him in warm water? Warm to us is hot to a betta.. It's usually not good to judge by your hand only. What he is doing strikes me as temperature shock, which he could get over or could not..

I have no clue about the grey spot..

Betta fins have been known to permanently curl in hard water, it could be because you have really hard water.. It tends to be permanent, unless you get softer water, but it really has no effect on their lives. I remember at one point on aquabid people were selling crowntails with curled fins (I find it kinda of pretty on CTs)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #3 
OMGemily

i think he probably did a week ago but i dont think he did this time. i have a thermometer it just doesnt work... i believe last time i got my water checked the hardnes was either 150 or 180... but i have no idea what that means... do you know what its supposed to be? and if it is temp shock is there a way to help him recover?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well you have really soft water, so that wouldn't be it.. Are you sure their just not clamped?
I don't think there is anything you can do about temp shock other than maybe lower his water level so he can get to the surface easier.
Maybe someone else would have a better idea..
Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 
OMGemily

hes almost always got them flared... you can kind of see in my profile pic. thats how his fins pretty much always are. he had double rays when i got him... now he looks like a single ray crown tail and im really not sure why. also he still has one straight ray. it goes out farther than the rest and doesnt look curled at all
Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm at a loss. I'd message someone with more know how. Thekoimaiden is online right now :/
Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #7 
OMGemily

whatever was on his head is gone now. i noticed looking at him from above hes gotten fatter. but he looked really thin when i first got him. although i dont really know how fat normal bettas are. i tried feeding him this morning and he would either eat his pellet and spit it back out and then try to eat it again or halfway suck it in his mouth and let it float to the bottom. he usually eats about 7 pellets a day. and he refuses to even acknowledge flakes