Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 
MysticMuffin

Strange poo possibly?

Hello ~

Ah, sorry..odd question >.<

My sister and I have been a little concerned with her betta fish, Curly, lately. We've had the little guy for about 3 weeks now and he still hardly eats. Whenever my sister feeds him, he'll just spit out his food (we feed him a pellet and crush it so it's easier for him to eat) so we'll be lucky if he even eats at least 1 pellet. In comparison to my 2 bettas, hers is pretty thin. My sister did a complete water change to his tank about 2ish days ago, and he doesn't have any substrate since she just moved him into a 2.5gal tank. And I noticed I haven't seen any poo in there o.O

Today after she was done feeding him, she saw this clear-stringy sticky-like stuff on the floor of his tank. And we were wondering if that could possibly be his poo? And if it is, does that mean he possibly has a parasite inside of him, which could be a reason he isn't eating?

Also, another question. Ever since we got him, his dorsal fin curls down (which is why she named him Curly). I read this could be due to hard water, but I don't exactly know what hard water is. We've done water changes ever since we got him, but it hasn't perked up. So could it be due to hard water, or was he just born this way o.O? We use Prime water conditioner too.
MysticMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #2 
OMGemily

i cant answer most of those questions, but hard water is when there are a lot of minerals in with the water and it can curl their fins. i dont think its necessarily bad for them but i could be wrong. i have the same problem with fin curling but ive been told my water isnt hard so it could be something else. i would recommend taking a sample of your water to a local pet store to get it tested. it should be free and youll know everything you need to about your water conditions :) sorry i couldnt help with your other questions :/ i hope he gets better!
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #3 
MysticMuffin

Ah, why thank you =] Do you know if Petsmart can check the water?

Now my sister is thinking he may be constipated? But he hardly eats, so that's why I don't know if that's a possibility especially since he's pretty thin too. I still think it could possibly be a parasite inside of him, but we really don't know >.< If it is a parasite, what's the treatment for it?
MysticMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #4 
OMGemily

yep they do :) thats where i take mine! i saw another thread mentioning the same thing about poop... but i cant remember which one it was... ill try to find it again so you can check there for answers as well. i dont know anything about that :/ ive only had fish for about a month lol but i would reccomend asking one of the senior members. sakura8 and thekoimaiden are the only ones i can think of right now. but if he seems to be getting worse id ask one of them. really sorry i couldnt help! i dont even know where they poop from haha
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote