Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #1 
chrissylee13

Angry really? you're going to give me the wrong information????

sooooo... here's the story.

at our petsmart (that's only about 4 months old) we've been struggling with a few water problems and keeping certain fish alive. well we finally figured out the problem, it was copper (and chlorine but we already fixed that problem), and all of our fish in our system suddenly perked right up! yay! so i made the comment to a few coworkers. i said something similar to that all the fish in our system, but mostly the gouramis, were acting like my bettas do. you know, swimming along the glass, being really alert, playing around in the tank, like happy little fish.

so here's where i got angry. after i said that they act like my bettas this certain coworker informed me that bettas don't move around much because they come from tiny little puddles in Thailand. of course i told him the correct information and that my bettas only stop moving if they're sick.

the reason why i got so angry was because this person is the one person that always informs me of when i do something slightly wrong and about all of these random facts i should know about fish. they've been with the company for over a year and they were telling me this ever so wrong information!?!??!!!! i wonder what else they're telling people about bettas......

i mean sure, a lot of people don't really know the truth about bettas. but for someone who barks out information like they know everything sure doesn't know much..
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #2 
cp6445

LOL those who act like they know everything usually know the least.

My betta never stops moving. We have to have 'bedtime'. Lights off, and into the floating log for rest.

If I moved as much as my betta I would burn every calorie I ate.

It's difficult to find a petsmart worker that knows about fish. Actually, it's difficult to find a vet that knows about fish. But yes, I agree, if you don't know, then don't advise. The most dangerous people are those that think they know..
cp6445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #3 
Jrf456

I hate people like this.

A lady told me 5 goldfish would be fine for a 5g. :/

Another lady said 10 female bettas in a 5g.

Another lady told my mom not to buy a heater for the betta tanks in the winter time. >:/

Petco horrors D:
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #4 
chrissylee13

cp6445: yeah i know right!? wish i could move that much! and it definitely is hard to find people that know a lot about fish. and i'm not saying i know a lot, i'm still learning. but i guess i know more than someone whose been working there for a year!

Jrf456: whatttttttttttt. those are crazy things to say.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 
MandiceP

I work at a LPS and if I don't know the answer to something I openly admit it, then ask the customer if they mind if I look it up for them (so I can learn the answer) or I'll ask another coworker... If I were shopping at a store I'd rather someone do that then pretend to know the answer and make something up... What a jerk!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

a lady was saying to customers that females eat the males after spawning D: like what the heck? :v sorry just wanted to tell the story (it was at a petco)
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 
Zappity

That's like the guy at Petsmart telling me to only feed bettas MAYBE once a week >_<
They give me the "Are you INSANE?" look when I tell them Mr. Bubbles has a 5.5gal tank x]
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

it is just employee's don't care about the fish or any pet's, they just want there pay check >->
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #9 
chrissylee13

and i do the same, if i don't know the answer i'll ask someone else if they do or show them some of the books we have in the store that might have the answer.

but yeah, unfortunately many places just hire random people and then they're just expected to learn the minimum to do whatever it is they were hired for.

i guess i started out as a random person, but i actually have generally knowledge of animal care before i was even hired. AND i wanted the job to do exactly that, take care of animals, learn about animals, and teach people about them.

getting a paycheck for doing what i love doing is basically a bonus!!! :D
Old 02-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

I sounded like a crazy fish lady in petsmart today, one of the misinformed employees came up to me and asked me if I needed help, I to,d him no but told him that almost all of the Bettas on the shelf were sick or stressed out. He decided to tell me that a vet checks them everyday, psh. He said he would tell the vet and get treatment for them. I srsly almost died laughing. Then I pointed out a crown tail and the told me crown tails were male and veil tails were female. I almost throttled him. Needless to say, I got what I needed and had to leave.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote