Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 
carolinagirl

What is this bump?

Hi. Not sure what this is on the side of my betta's head and I'm not even sure how to search the forum for this. His water params have all been normal, nothing out of the norm. He is even starting up a bubble nest. I think the bubbles originally started from the filter and the current just floated them to one side of the tank but George is adding to it. I've watched him.

But back to that bump. It started out as a white speck. Not sure of the terminology, but the gills? where they flare out at their image . . . on the side where the bump is that gill? stands out more than the other side.

So I'm not sure how to treat him medically or if there is anything to worry about. Any advise would be great. Thanks :)

Let's see if I can give any extra info: normal water params, 1 x 2 daily feedings with frozen brine shrimp, water temp 79 degrees. Once weekly water changes 25-30% and once monthly syphoning.
Attached Images

carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #2 
copperarabian

I have a copper girl who has a similar bump on her gill cover. She's not very active, although I new this in the store and bought he anyway. I'm assuming it's a tumor and since she is still able to swim and eat and I'm going to risk trying to remove it.

Sometimes things like this are just part of their genetics, as long as he's happy and able to live a normal life don't worry :)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #3 
carolinagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I have a copper girl who has a similar bump on her gill cover. She's not very active, although I new this in the store and bought he anyway. I'm assuming it's a tumor and since she is still able to swim and eat and I'm going to risk trying to remove it.

Sometimes things like this are just part of their genetics, as long as he's happy and able to live a normal life don't worry :)
Remove it??
Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 
MollyJean

I think copperarabian meant " I'm NOT going to risk trying to remove it."

At least I hope
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #5 
carolinagirl

LOL. I did go back and re-read that post like 4 times. Thought I might have missed something.

As far as George goes, I'm not gonna worry to terribly much. He is a resiliant little guy!!! My toddler on several occasions has put stuff in his tank, the worst being an unknown amount of Prime. Luckily George is still going strong :)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #6 
copperarabian

ahhh, that's so horrible why didn't I check!!! I did mean "not" remove it! That's so sad, I really need to double check my post O.O
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #7 
carolinagirl

LOL. I was wondering how one would go about removing something like that from a betta. Thinking about it is starting to make me wonder!!! lol