Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 
betta fish crazy

What fish would be best for this tank?

It is a 10 gallon with an Aqueon Queit Flow 10 Filter. It will probably be a coldwater tank.
I have a list of fish that I am considering and I'd like other people's opinions. Obviously I can't put all of these together in my tank (there wouldn't be enough room!), so I would appreciate advice on which ones I can combine.

White Cloud Mountain Minnows-I like them, and I think they'd do well in my tank, but I a bit concerned about water parameters. Do they need anything very specific or special?

Zebra Danios-These guys might not do so well in my cold tank, but I've heard they are pretty hardy. They're not really very much to look at though.

GloFish-not goldfish, but genectically modified Zebra Danios. Also not sure if they'd do well in my tank. Very bright and colorful, but also quite expensive.

Goldfish-Would probably grow to big for my tank. However, my little sis loves them and would be happy to have one in the house.

Betta-Okay, I feel a bit silly suggesting this on a betta forum, since I know what a lot of people will say/think. They are lovely fish, but the filter current might be too strong for them and I kind of wanted more than one fish. Plus, my tank is really cold.

What do you guys think I should get?
betta fish crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

WCMM-I'm not sure about their requirements. :/ I know they are pretty, schooling fish, colwater, and can fit in a 10 gallon. lol

Zebra Danios + Glofish-Both of these really prefer a long tank, preferably 20 gallons plus as they are a very active fish.

Goldfish-They get to big. :P
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Well, if you got a heater you would have a whack more options, but out of all those, the Minnows are the best idea. Zebra Danios/Glofish are too active a fish for your size of tank (min. 20g.) Goldfish, as you know, grow too big for that size, and a betta would be very cold. I think minnows are your best bet if you don't want to go get a heater :)

Edit: Also, on the water params thing, I don't think you need to worry about it. Fish adjust to PH, and these fish seem pretty straightforward.
http://scalesandfins.com/Aquatic_Car...ountain_Minnow

Last edited by bettafish15; 03-14-2012 at 05:57 PM.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #4 
betta fish crazy

Thanks guys! I'm probably going to go with the minnows. Does anyone know how big a group they should be kept in?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'd say six. Not sure, but six is a pretty good number for most schooling fish. (:
Old 03-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #6 
bettafish15

According to AqAdvisor, you could have 6-7 in there. At 6, your 64% stocked. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I support the minnow decision. Get at least 6, no more than 8 for a ten gallon. :) You can mix the variations (long fin, golden, etc) as they are all the same species. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Can't wait to see the little minnows! :D
Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Actually if I may weigh in I think a 10 gal tank is a bit small for WCMM. They are active fish and like a lot of swimming room. Everything I'm seeing says they need a 20 gal or larger tank. White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) - Seriously Fish and White Cloud Mountain Minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) TFK Profile

There aren't many coldwater choices that would be suited for that size tank. Why not just spring the exta $30 and get a heater? It will open up so many different possibilities. For softwater you have all kinds of tetra and for hardwater you have livebearers and rainbowfish. Fish can adjust to pH, but living in the wrong hardness will shorten a fish's life and make it more prone to disease.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #10 
betta fish crazy

Well, I just found out it is illecgal to sell WCMM in my state. You can keep them but you can't buy them here. So it's either drive to another sate to get these fish, or spend about $40 for a heater and have more options.