Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #51 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Keep the baby's tank bare bottom while you're feeding tiny things and doing tons of WC's. It'll make things much easier IMO. :D
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #52 
OMGemily

oh i plan on it :) Antiones is bare bottom atm because last time i changed the water it was disgusting... all hiding in the marbles :/ so yep. theyre both gonna be bare bottom for a while :) im excited to get the baby in a bigger tank :)
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #53 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGemily View Post
Day 35i was going to get prime but it was WAY too concentrated... like 1 mL per 100 gallons!
Just so you know when you need more conditioner - the dosage for Prime works out to one drop per gallon, or 1 mL per 10 gallons (and each thread on the cap is 1 mL). When you do a water change, it's best to add the full-tank dosage, anyway. To get a drop or two, I pour a tiny bit into the cap, then pour a few drops from the cap into whatever container I'm mixing water in. Then dump the rest back in the Prime bottle. You can't overdose, so don't worry about that. Just eyeball it.

It lasts foreeeverr because you need so little, haha.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #54 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

1ml per 100 gallons works out to 0.1ml per 10 gallons, and 0.01ml per 1 gallon. That is much less than whatever "a drop" could be considered, drops can have different sizes so it isn't the best way to explain things ;)
I think that bottle must have been for large tanks, some have smaller dose amounts. I thought prime was 1ml per 10 gallons as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #55 
OMGemily

i thought it was crazy too but i double checked. rediculously huge amounts of tank water o.O its alright though. i dont have a problem with ammonia and my topfin stuff seems to work fine :) maybe next time i need it ill be able to find prime less concentrated somewhere else
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #56 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
1ml per 100 gallons works out to 0.1ml per 10 gallons, and 0.01ml per 1 gallon. That is much less than whatever "a drop" could be considered, drops can have different sizes so it isn't the best way to explain things ;)
I think that bottle must have been for large tanks, some have smaller dose amounts. I thought prime was 1ml per 10 gallons as well.
I have the biggest bottle size (that they have at my Petsmart, anyway) and it says 5 mL for 50 gallons, which is 1 mL per gallon.

Water conditioner doesn't have to be exact... and, since you really should add a full dosage every water change, that'd be 1 mL in a ten gallon tank, anyway.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #57 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I was just going with what Emily said.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #58 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
I have the biggest bottle size (that they have at my Petsmart, anyway) and it says 5 mL for 50 gallons, which is 1 mL per gallon.

Water conditioner doesn't have to be exact... and, since you really should add a full dosage every water change, that'd be 1 mL in a ten gallon tank, anyway.
i wish i could find one with that dosage -_- that would make my life so easy haha the topfin stuff has that same concentration but i couldnt find it in Prime at my petsmart. granted i didnt look at all the sized bottles but i think the largest and smallest had the same cincentration so i assumed they all did. oh well. ill check again next time :)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #59 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGemily View Post
i wish i could find one with that dosage -_- that would make my life so easy haha the topfin stuff has that same concentration but i couldnt find it in Prime at my petsmart. granted i didnt look at all the sized bottles but i think the largest and smallest had the same cincentration so i assumed they all did. oh well. ill check again next time :)
If you were just glancing at it, you may have combined the Liter measurement with the word gallon, lol. Because it says 5 mL for 200 L (50 gallons). I'm pretty sure they're all the same concentration? Could be wrong, though. I think it might be worded differently on different sizes, though, since cap sizes are different and they like to keep it in terms of a capful.

As a side note, they have a 2L bottle @_@ Can you imagine needing to change that much water? Hahaha.

Edit: holy shamoly, they have a 20L bottle (.. jug? barrel?), rofl.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #60 
OMGemily

oh my... i bet its cheaper in the long run though haha. i very well couldve read that wrong... now that you point it out i bet thats what i did *facepalm* but even then my current tank is 5 gallons so thats half a mL. id have to get a smaller syringe