Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #1 
jeffandcole

Exclamation Betta Fish is scared of me help

Hello, I have had my fish for 3 days and he had gotten stuck by my filter and i had tried to free him and he freaked out when i got him free and he is very scared and avoids me. How can i make him feel welcome? Is there anyway to not make him scared besides giving him more time?

Thanks
jeffandcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #2 
Luimeril

some bettas are just more skittish than others. i have two that are pretty skittish. it may take days, or even weeks for him to get used to you to the point where he doesn't run when you come up. just sit by his tank every day. eventually, he won't run when you come up.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #3 
meve

I put a cave in my scared fish tank. He likes to hide in it and look at me. He thinks I can't see him this way! lol
meve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
jeffandcole

Yes he does have his own cave it has 3 different holes and he loves to hide in it i just am very worried about him being afraid. Im really upset that they come in small cups i think they should try and be a little nicer to them
Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

He could be hiding from the filter. Try buffering the filter. Step-By-Step Filter Baffle This is one way to do it. You can also stuff an aquarium sponge in the outflow to slow the current.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

Your boy has experienced a trauma. He may be avoiding you or trying to hide in general. I would try to find a way to try and make his aquarium a little safer so that he doesn't get stuck again.

I would also do as Luimeril suggested and spend time by his tank every day. He should warm up to your presence eventually. You may also just have a skittish betta. Other than a cave, if his aquarium looks a little bare, trying adding some silk or live plants. Bettas like to have areas to explore and hide and/or rest in.

Last edited by Rosso1011; 03-18-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: error in the post
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #7 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I know how you feel with skittish fish. One of my rasboras actually got stuck under a rock diving out of the way when I opened the lid to their tank to feed them. xD My poor guppy being treated for fin-rot also is now scared of me as the bugger would not go in to the net to be transferred to the hospital tank. -.-
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #8 
jeffandcole

He has one plant and some shiny rocks with his own cave and a heater and filter. I have another plant but i felt it was kind of pointy and i didnt want him to become scratched. Do you think i should buy some real plants so i know they wont scratch him?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 
Rosso1011

Real plants are always a plus, but all you really need to do is look for plants labeled silk and make sure they don't have pointy edges. There's a sticky around here (I think it's under housing and accessories) about live plants and their care that you can check out if you wish.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #10 
jeffandcole

Yes i had bought a plant that was quite pointy and i took it out before i put my fish in beacuse i felt it could harm him and now he just has a soft one that has spikes that are not sharp or pointy. Thanks for the tips

He is very happy since yesterday and seems very attached to his tank and seems to like me very much he doesnt hide anymore im so happy! I really thought he might not make it through all the stress. Thanks for the Help. I appreciate it