Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 
OMGemily

questions on eating and getting fat

so my food container says to feed Antione as much as hell eat in 2-3 minutes. and ive heard that a lot. but ive also heard people say they only feed their fish anywhere from 2-4 pellets a day... right now Antione eats about 7-8 pellets a day. i usually feed him 3-4 pellets once before school and once a few hours after. attached is a picture from above of how "fat" he is. his heads always been the same size but his body has gotten about twice as thick. personally i think he looked a little starved before but i havent the slightest clue how fat the should be. so my questions are:

Should i feed him more/less?
Is he too skinny/fat?
Is the 3 minute thing a good rule of thumb?
Attached Images

OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

The amount of pellets really depends on the brand. Different brands contain different pellet sizes. I use Omega One, which is a fairly small pellet, so I feed 3-4 pellets 2x a day. Bigger pellets may require smaller feeding sizes.

The 3 minute rule is definitely not a good rule. My boys would eat until they couldn't swim properly.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 
OMGemily

what about the size of his body? should it get skinnier like that after his head?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I'm not 100% sure, but I think their body should a little thinner than their head. If you're feeding 7-8 pellets a day and he looks kinda thin... then he probably won't remain that way for long.

Last edited by Rosso1011; 03-18-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #5 
Rosso1011

I always use a side view to determine whether they look thin. I think it might be harder to tell looking from the top. Btw, feel free to post albums in your profile or post a picture in the pictures section. We love viewing pics of new bettas here.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #6 
OMGemily

hes definitely gained weight since i got him judging by the top veiw. he looked like a tadpole when i got him! ive got pictures up around here theyre just all in different threads haha heres a link to his journal: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=96366
there are a few more pics of him there :)
and heres a video i just took of him swimming around :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJhOU...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #7 
Rosso1011

What a cutie! He doesn't seem to be too camera shy either. My guys start to swim-scoot when a camera gets involved.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #8 
bankruptjojo

first off you cant feed him to little but you sure can feed him to much. i feed mine bio gold 2 in morning 1-2 at night. sometimes i feed new life spectrume 3in morning 2 at night. i also skip one day a week.
bankruptjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #9 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
What a cutie! He doesn't seem to be too camera shy either. My guys start to swim-scoot when a camera gets involved.
Antione doesnt seem to be very scared of anything haha he used to freak out every time i put anything up to the tank but now if i put my finger on the tank hell come right up nose to nose with it! haha same with the mirror. but he doesnt flare like he feels threatened. sometimes i "chase" him around with my finger on the glass :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankruptjojo View Post
i also skip one day a week.
ive been meaning to but i keep forgetting :/ i fed him this morning though so im just gonna skip tonight and tomoro morning and hopefully hell want to eat again! he hasnt ate much the past day - day and a half