Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 02:17 AM   #11 
nintendobratkat

Yeah the thing that bugs me is how suddenly it showed up and how fast it spread. I isolated him as soon as I saw it. The other fish that were housed with him seem fine so I have no idea. They also got a fresh change. I feel like he is going to die.
nintendobratkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #12 
Silverfang

My experience with the evil fuzzies is not a cheery one. I've managed to save one out of seven.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #13 
nintendobratkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
My experience with the evil fuzzies is not a cheery one. I've managed to save one out of seven.
Do you know what causes it?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #14 
Romad
TFK Moderator

That sure is nasty looking :( At this point you might have to go with an antibiotic like Tetracycline or a Maracyn I & II combo.

I'd also keep a close eye on the tank he came out of. Good luck and I hope he makes it.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #15 
nintendobratkat

Petsmart was closed by the time I got there yesterday. He was dead this morning which isn't cool because I had less than 24 hours really to do something about it. I have no idea what it was or why he died and I'm pretty unhappy. Quick onset, quick demise.

I guess at least I still have the other fish but they have like zero personality. Bob would at least come to the side of the tank. It was my daughter's fish and at least she's too little to know much.

RIP Bob
Old 03-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

:(

The problem with alot of fish illnesses is that they move quick and before you figure out what's wrong, the fish is gone. It's a good idea to keep some meds on hand, like Maracyn and Maracyn2 or Furan 2 but even then, it may not help. I only had 1 survived a fuzzie attack out of 6 that had it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #17 
Sakura8

Fuzzies are caused by flexibacter columnaris, a nasty bacteria. Usually poor water quality brings it about; also it likes the higher temps that bettas like. :( Lots of other conditions can be mistaken for columnaris, though, like excess slime coat and saprolegnia.

Try the AQ salt as everyone suggested. If that doesn't seem to be working, try either the Maracyn combo as Romad suggested or look for a medication called Seachem Kanaplex.

Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #18 
nintendobratkat

My sister is a vet and had a pretty good explanation about what happened. I'm not looking to get a new betta soon. Going to wait a few weeks. I'm still really sad about my betta. = (
Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Oh! I'm so sorry, Nintendo, I didn't read the whole thread so I didn't realize you lost him. I'm sorry for being so insensitive. >.<
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote