Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1 
karpediem

Opinions wanted

Relatives and friends encouraged me to open a betta store to sell only betta fish and betta supplies. I think i could do it since i have a small betta farm. Everyone knows that just from a breeding pair can get you end up with 100 to 300 fry or more. Could you imagine your house feel up with betta jars all over the place.
Where i live, there use to have few local pet store who carry betta and i was supplying 2 of them every 2 weeks. That was 2 years ago. Now, those 3 little stores closed down because of petsmart and petco or maybe the economy was too bad but i am still here and still supplying other retails.

I was wondering if having a betta store in any city in United State will have impacts on you or it won't change a thing ?? Do you think that betta store will last ? Do you think it will be a big competitor for petco and petsmart regarding choice of colors, tail type and price ??
I like to heard from you, thank you.
karpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Think those who are willing to learn the CORRECT information about their betta(s) it would be a great store.
It maybe a while before you get booming business. But once word gets around it may kick up fast. With a larger selection of colors and types, people are bound to bounce.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Go for it! :D As FishyFishy said, as long as you have knowledge and pretty bettas it'd be great!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #4 
Edifiler

I'm sure I speak for most when I say that I would love to have a dedicated store to betta fish to shop in. Where I live, the choices are poor and their staff have little to no knowledge of betta fishes. I'll say, go for it. After all, no pain no gain.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This would depend on the size of your city. New York or Toronto, I could easily imagine a chic store with lovely large designer tanks and gorgeous betta. Yet considering the cost of renting/owning a building/store space and maintaining a business, there are heavy risks associated with starting such a specialized store.. If you live in a smaller town I doubt this would work..
However, I do think it's a wonderful idea, and I would love such a store. It all depends on your willingness to put tons of hours into the store and getting word out. Another idea would be to also sell fish that are good tank mates for betta, and shrimp.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #6 
Zippy

I think that so far everyone has given great advise! I, also, would totally shot at a betta shop! I am new/returning to the world of betta and got some terrible advice from the people at petsmart. If there was a specialty shop near me, I would so skip all the drama and just go there with all of my needs and questions. However, it might get expensive.. Good luck!! Where are you located, btw??
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #7 
Mars788

I'd love it :D
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #8 
karpediem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
I think that so far everyone has given great advise! I, also, would totally shot at a betta shop! I am new/returning to the world of betta and got some terrible advice from the people at petsmart. If there was a specialty shop near me, I would so skip all the drama and just go there with all of my needs and questions. However, it might get expensive.. Good luck!! Where are you located, btw??
Somewhere in California :)
Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #9 
Hanky

Are there enough people in your area to sustain your store? You said 3 other shops closed down in the past few years right? I'm afraid it would be hard to compete price wise with petsmarts petcos for supplies. If you live in a large city and can find a small space somewhere cheap enough than give it a go, or start up an internet business and save on alot of overhead.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #10 
karpediem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
Are there enough people in your area to sustain your store? You said 3 other shops closed down in the past few years right? I'm afraid it would be hard to compete price wise with petsmarts petcos for supplies. If you live in a large city and can find a small space somewhere cheap enough than give it a go, or start up an internet business and save on alot of overhead.
I am not really worried about the location of the store, those who like betta doesn't matter if they are pro, semi pro or beginners or totally new, if they know there is a betta store somewhere or close to their city, believe me they will come from all over the place.
One of my retailer that i supply live in L.A and she drive once a month to my place to select the betta she want and i dont mind she does that because she pay for them and some are not cheap.
And believe me, if i have a store, i will sell my fishes way cheaper than petco and petsmart and for choice of colors, i think i have more, dont you think ??. I sell my ct males regular color here to my neighbors and friends for only $2 and i give the female for free cause i have so many of them. Just Compare my price ct to petco and petsmart, it is more than 50% off, it is like buy 1 and get 1 free.
I said 3 closed down because they were not only selling betta, they have other things too. I remember that even i was supplying those store with my betta, customers will keep coming to see me and buying from me because my price was cheaper and i have all the betta supplies they want.
So, a betta store is coming, not sure when but i am working on it :)