Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 
lorr13

Smile Hello Betta Community!!

I acquired Avery my senior year in high school after we created natural biomes out of soda bottles for them to live in. My original betta died once he was taken home (something went wrong in the process of the activity to a lot of the fish) but one was left in the classroom and no one would claim him. So after little convincing I HAD to take him home and he has been living with my family for almost 2 years now. He is slowly moving on up in life (I just got him a 2 gallon tank, neither my pocket or home can afford a bigger one right now). I am slowly learning how to do everything, his new home has a heater, thermometer, air pump and plants. I am still not sure if I am doing everything right and I would hate for him to suffer. Any advice would be taken happily to a new "serious" betta owner.

I have tons of questions like is my 2 gal tank too small??? (looking on here makes me want to send my poor avery off to one of y'all!)

I just switched him into this 2 gal starter tank, it has an air pump and a bright led light at the top, they both look really strong (to me, only I am not sure if they are, what do y'all recommend?? natural light? no pump?)

Avery has not been transferred to his new home yet he is still in his 1 gal. bowl (POOR THING), because I tested the water and the ammonia, hardness, and alkalinity, and ph were too high!?!??! (i added water conditioner, my family has a water softener could this be why???)

SO I switched the water (half of it was from water bottles and the other half from a filtered water pitcher we use for drinking) and am letting it run for another 24 hours then testing it again.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????
lorr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Look forward to hearing about your Betta adventures and seeing pics......

Enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Try right from a tap... let it sit overnight. Also, you can lowr the hardness and PH with stuff you can get at walmart, pet stores, fish stores... not sure about the alkalinity, though. Ammonia, although dangerous will almost always be present in a non-cycled tank. It's too hard to cycle a 2 gallon

However, a 2 gallon is not too small. Some will says YES some say NO. The thing is, if you can give them warm, clean water, go for it. I suggest 2 50% water changes per week, to keep ammonia down bettas are hardy..give them credit! =D

I prefer natural light...for the look. It brings out their natural colors, too. You can get a UV light for the tank, or have him in a decently window lit room. remember - direct sun causes algae which although is not dangerous, can look gross to us If you can find one... look for an adjustable filter. otherwise I only suggest a bubbler to break the surface of the water.. I have a bubbler, which you can get the adjustable valve to make it gentler! You can go without a filter, too.

Welcome to the forums =D
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
lorr13

today

Thank you for the advice!
I have tested his water today and everything seems to be leveled out and safe after I changed the water (I'm not sure why the first time it was so bad). I'm still letting it run for a few more hours and Avery should be in his new home tonight!

- i did not know there are adjustable pumps, I may get one of those soon because the one it came with seems very strong, I'm not sure how he will react.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #5 
lorr13

And thank you Oldfishlady!!! I will, I have been learning so much on here already!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well since bettas are weaker swimmers than say... a guppy or danios, a strong pump in a small tank is bad
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #7 
Cynical Fish Guy

I have a mini bow and the filter it came with, at first I thought was a bit strong, but my Betta SAM, loved it. He loved to swim against the current, and the filter itself provided a covered area, which he also liked and used to build his bubble nests under.

I have since moved my fish to a 15 gallon tank. My fish was perfectly happy in his 1 gallon tank, maybe even happier. It was the plants in his tank behind the upgrade...They forced me, I swear. Now my Betta Sam, lives with a school of neon tetras (6), Harlequin Raspboras (5) Corydoras Trilineatus (2) <--- too many common names Ghost Shrimp (5) Fauna consists of Elodea/Anacharis, Micosporum pteroptus, and Ludwigia repens: plants are spread through out the aquarium, and Betta Bulbs of an Apogenate variety.....
Cynical Fish Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clueless, help confused, new member, new owner