Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #1 
wystearya

Unhappy First fungus, now bloat.. Floating betta..

I'm having no end of trouble with my new boy Moonstone. I got him on the 9th, exactly one week ago today.

The first few days he was fine. Eating and swimming and flaring a lot. After a bought a couple of live plants, he began to go downhill...

Yesterday I noticed fungus on him, and started to treat with some aquarium salt. I also noticed his belly was a bit full, though I have not fed him for a few days now... I think the new plants had tiny snails. I saw one before bed last night and removed it. I am afraid he found, and ate, some I did not see.

This morning I see he is not swimming properly. Floating on top, on his side. He is breathing. He will right himself from time to time. I feel awful!!

---------

He is in a 5 gallon tank. I have a heater, temp stays at 76. Right now I do NOT have a filter, but do have some aeration going. >> Just an air stone for now, with the bubbles very low.

I have a sponge filter on the way.

I have a couple of live plants... I am afraid these are what have cause my problems!

I keep his water very clean, and I have done water changes almost daily. I will go test his water in a minute and then post results here.

---------

Honestly, his belly is full, but does not look abnormal to me. I am so worried! I have to go to work today and I have had to work long hours lately... It is too early to get to the store before I have to leave, and I am afraid I might not get back until late this evening. I hope he can hang on until then...

Do I need to try epsom salt? Or should I just leave the poor guy alone and hope for the best?

Should I leave his tank light off for today?

I just want to make him as comfortable as possible.

Thank you all. I am so upset about this. I don't know why this is happening.. :/
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #2 
wystearya

Test results:

Ammonia = .25
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = about 5, this is from my tap water
pH = 7.6

------------

Should I do a partial water change for the ammonia?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #3 
Silverfang

Yes, if you ever get a reading of .25 (or is it any ammonia?) you should do a partial WC
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #4 
wystearya

I am too late...

I looked at him again just now, and he has stopped breathing. I touched him gently, and no response.

Moonstone is gone. Rest in peace my little guy. :(

I have no idea why he died. He was fine the first two days. I don't understand.

--------------

I know I will want another Betta. Should I take down the tank and do a full cleaning? I don't know why Moonstone died so quickly. He didn't look very ill, just some holes in his fins from flaring too much. Yesterday just a spot of fungus. Today the floating, and death.

--------------

Back when I had my last betta, I had this problem with fish from my Petsmart. They died quickly. But the one from my other pet store (Pet Supplies Plus) lived a long time. I was giving Petsmart the benefit of my doubt in buying Moonstone. Hoping they had healthy fish this time, and I fell in love with his gorgeous shiny coloring. Sadly, it was not to be. NEVER again...

When I am ready, maybe even after fully cycling the tank, I will get a new Betta friend. This time from my other store.

Last edited by wystearya; 03-16-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

so so sorry i think you always need to quarantine plants first before you put them in the tank. I personally don't do it because i am using spider plant that my mom and my friend have...but i think i read it on the forum. I really think that plants is the problem that your betta died :( so so sorry....

So wait until someone will give you advice on it before you buy another betta.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #6 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
so so sorry i think you always need to quarantine plants first before you put them in the tank. I personally don't do it because i am using spider plant that my mom and my friend have...but i think i read it on the forum. I really think that plants is the problem that your betta died :( so so sorry....

So wait until someone will give you advice on it before you buy another betta.
Thank you.

I think it must have been either the plants or Moonstone was ill when I got him and it wasn't yet showing up. :/

I got my filter in the mail today, and I have it set up in the tank. I also changed the water. I'm going to try to get it cycled so hopefully my next fish friend will have a more peaceful & healthy home.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

I really think it a plant that kill the fish. I just ask meone else to look at your post. I also not sure if you need to diseanfect the tank. So wait before you do anything.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #8 
wystearya

Well, I will wait and see what is said. Though I did rinse everything with very hot water. (Plants too!) If the plants die, I don't mind. I just want a fish-friendly tank. ;)
Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

definitely disinfect the tank.

Remove all live plants, and place in quarantine. This can be done in a bucket, regular tap water. Leave for 2-3 weeks or longer for best results.

All fake plants, ornaments, etc, use equal amounts of white vinegar and hot water mix. THIS kills EVERYTHING =D better than just hot water. Heater should be cleaned with hot water, and so should the filter. No vinegar - to avoid those crevices keeping the vinegar!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #10 
wystearya

Thank you! <3