Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #1 
andrizzie

Exclamation Bottled water??

My bettas tank needed to be topped off because of evaporation. I used Dasani water to do this, and even put in the water conditioner just in case.
But now I am wondering if it was okay to use purified bottled water to top off his tank?
I dont want to cause him any harm by what I did
andrizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #2 
Aqua Aurora

You should use water from the same source as the tank is filled with. If you used dechlorninated tap you should top off with that too. Bottled water may (most likely will) have different parameters (pH, hardness) than the tank water and sudden changes in pH are not good for the betta. Don't used bottled water unless thats all you plan to use in the tank. If you use RO water you should keep enough pre-made RO around for a 100% water change (in case of an emergency) at all times. Same deal if you use DI. But if its tap, stick to tap-get from the same source-note tap water from work/friend's/family's home may have different water parameters from tap at your home (and dechlorinate it). Its also a good idea to try to get the water being added close to tank temp, so don't add freezing cold tap to a 78-80F tank. Sudden changes in temperatures are also bad for the fish.
Aqua Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #3 
lookimawave

I use tap/RO mix for water changes but top off with only RO water. Your bottled water is most likely very soft (though I think Dasani adds a small amount of salt) so it's likely the same idea. By topping off with RO/soft water you're not changing the hardness of the water (since water evaporates but not minerals/salt) but it's true that the pH may be different. If your KH is decent and if you're not adding too much water at a time though I don't think it will be a problem.
lookimawave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottled water, purified water, water change