Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #21 
Eiksaa

Myrates, you are right. I was thinking about that too. Only thing is Meve found the bodies in the pipe that connects the filter to the box, that is not the filter intake. But who knows, maybe it does suck in water because of vacuum and that's now they ended up there.

Also, the dying plants are mine. :) it's a crypt just about coming out of it's melting state.
Eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #22 
Myates

Hmm... still interesting, and definitely something to take precautions about.

D'oh! lol I thought maybe a plant had rotted while Meve was away, sorry I got you two confused :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #23 
meve

Thanks for bringing that up. Unfortunatly, I dont answer at most of your questions. My plants were fine, even , they looked more healthy when I got back than when I left! They were bigger and got nicer colors. The temperature were a little colder in one tank. But I dOn't think tha tit happened suddenly. I left for a week and after reading few posts here, I decided to make them feast during that time. So the last time they ate was the morning I left and I gave them the same numbers of pellet as usual. The night before, I did a 50% water change since I did a 100% change 5 days before. Finally, I let the light of the aauqrium on all the time.

In my opinion, I think that the water evaporation killed them. The water level got too low and I guess the filter succion began to be too strong and got them stuck. It's my opinion...I had the lid on for one of the tank (the one made by Hagen for the Chi) but the evaporation was almost the same in both tank. Maybe 2 cm difference.

My third fish in is Fluval Spec was perfectly fine and is quite happy to be feed daily now! lol

Anyway thanks for your input, I will be vigilent in the future about the factors your brought up. But let me say, that I,m nervous to let the filter runs when I'm away now...
meve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #24 
Eiksaa

I hear you meve, but I am confused. You found them in the pipe, right? Not in the filter. The filter sucks up water into the box, that's actually far from where the pipe is.

I don't know; I am confused. I have a feeling the only way a fish would end up there is if they swam into it. I just checked it again and even vacuum can be ruled out because it is open at the top. At the same time I find it hard to believe that both your fish decided to do it while you were away. So confusing.

There is a review on the Hagen blog where someone's fish swam into it twice while they were watching the fish so they could get the fish unstuck (it did take them stepping in to help, the fish couldn't get unstuck on its own) and the fish finally died when he swam in there when the owner wasn't watching. But that's the only reference of this I have found online.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #25 
Eiksaa

Also, forgot to ask. Was the filter still working when you got back? As in, was it pumping out water from top. My filter stops working if the water level gets too low.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #26 
meve

Well it was the final end I thought about...I found the tail of one of them sticked to the black stripe where you should put the filter clip. It was stick on the «wall» , the end of the tail facing the exterior. So I thought it went trought the crack, not from the bottom. When I cleaned the pipe, I saw that the water could go under the light from that pipe by the clip. When I arrived I could hear the motor runs, but no water was going throught the top.

Anyway, I dont want to say that the Chi is a bad tank. I kept mine and I put back new fishes in it. I just wanted to warned people and it works because you helped me to fix it!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #27 
rubenhak

What kind of foam did you guys use? Would a depron or EPP kind of foam work well in the water? Wouldn't it dissolve in the water?
rubenhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #28 
Eiksaa

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-204-Foa.../dp/B001D02O64
I had some of that lying around from earlier. I am super paranoid about what I can use in a fish tank so I only use things that are meant to be in there.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #29 
rubenhak

Thank you for the link!
rubenhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM   #30 
meve

Exclamation

I have to leave for a complete week again . I'm really nervous to let my fishes alone once again. What would you think if I let my 2 fluval chi tank without the filter on for 7 days? I have a really plants in it and a heater. Could it be really bad?

I fixed the clip like it said in this post, but I become a little paranoid now...