Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #1 
bettalover06

Post 2 Male Betta's on 2.5G

I'm new Betta owner. I brought 2 male Betta's, and they are now about yr old, and I have always had them on a 1/2 gallon tank with a divider (As the pet store suggested). But I have been reading lately about Betta's since I'm planning on buying 2 more. But so far I have been reading a lot about how to care for your Betta, (i know I should have done some research before hand) and I was shocked to find out that some comments say's Betta's should be on 10G tank or larger . But some say's they should be OK on 2.5G, since they are supposed to be on compact area, enough for them to be able to swim around. And now I'm thinking all this time have I neglected my Betta's by not providing a good enough space for them to leave in. I just need some clarification from an experience Betta owner. I feed them well, 5-6 pallets daily, and do complete water change once to twice a week.(once again per pet store advice) I personally think I've done well considering they lasted almost a yr. I'm just really confuse on what to follow and what the proper way to care for them. I just brought 2.5G with filter, and completely new gravels, and plants (soft) just want to make sure I did the right thing. Please advice, I want to have my Betta's leave longer. By the way I place them to 2.5G for now, with divider. PLEASE HELP
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 AM   #2 
djembekah

i think you were doing well with the tiny space they had, since you changed the water regularly. A few people on the forum think bettas need at least 5 gallons, but a lot of people also suggest at least 1 gallon, with a heater, and 1 50 and 1 100% water change a week. do you use a water conditioner to remove chlorine? i think the amount you've been feeding is pretty good/average recommendation for a betta.
the divided 2.5 gallon is probably okay, though i havent heard of a lot of people dividing something so small. That does give them each 1.25 gallons, though two bettas in such a small tank probably build up a lot of ammonia. you'll just have to keep up with regular water changes, and maybe try to get each his own tank eventually.
I'm pretty new to the hobby too, but this website gives so much good information, that even though i still feel uncertain at times, i also feel as though i've been doing this forever. Also this forum will always answer any questions you have! thanks for joining ^-^
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 
Pitluvs

They would be much happier with a 2.5g to themselves for sure, but what you have now is a big improvement! You have time to upgrade them :) I went from 1g, to 1.5g and then to 3.3g for my boys each. When you know better, you do better. You're not the first person to be led astray by a pet store employee :) Once you see your boys in a 2.5g each, you'll see how different they act with that much more room :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Well they should each have 1.25 gallons to themselves... which is totally fine as long as you keep up with changing the water.
The space is less important than the water.. Do the water changes as suggested above and it'd be fine.
You definitely need a heater though! Betta need warm waters to feel happy. It makes them more active and brightens their colours up.

Once you see your guys perk up in their warmer water.. you will probably consider upgrading them anyways. It can get pretty obsessive.. trying to keep your fish as happy as possible, trust me :D
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #5 
bettalover06

2 Male Betta's on 2.5G

Thanks guys for the reply, this surely helps me a lot. My dream aquarium would be a 20G tank,but unfortunately i don't have much space to do so. Since I only have them on 2.5G is it really necessary to have heater since I feel like its going to take up more space away from my little ones. I actually am planning on buying thermometer to make sure the water is safe for them. I do use water conditioner definitely. Right now the tank I have them on actually has light compare to the one I use to have them on. Also i added more plants that way they don't get shock with the space change. Since the tank is now slightly bigger than they are used too for almost a year. Is it safe to have the light on over night?? I feel like its going to create a drastic temp change since the light will be on through the night.

Once again thank you all for the feed back this really educate new Betta owner like me on how to improve in caring for my Betta's. I'm also up for any suggestion as far as accessories etc for my Betta's . Thanks in advance.

Bettalover06
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm sure some people on here could recommend a good small heater :)
They do need it, the light is a bad idea. It will overheat the water, while a heater would stop heating once it's the right temperature.
You also can't leave a light on all night, because like us, betta DO need go sleep, weird as it sounds. So a heater is the only way to go :)
If you can, save up and get a 5 gallon to divide for your two boys. Then you can put one in the 2.5 gallon, once everyone is nice and heated! :)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Bettas don't have eye lids, they need a dark tank to sleep. So light on during the day, off at night :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #8 
bettalover06

I actually have notice my boys are actually moving more and actually seems happier since I had the space upgrade. Although I know they probably would be happier in a 5G. But I will save some money so I can finally invest on a much bigger tank. Since after all I am planning on getting two more, but females this time. I wonder are females Betta's harder to maintain compare to males? I will definitely keep in mind to make sure light go off when my lights go off. I keep them right now in my room since I don't have the water heater yet, and its about room temp. I'm hoping having the lights on for 2hrs will warm the water enough for them. I did also notice that they seems to hanging out on the top, is this something I need to worry about?? I'm just a bit concern since the light is on I don't want them to fry due to heat. or be blinded.

Thanks once again for your kind replies: much appreciated
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #9 
Ramble

I have one girl and one boy and they seem equally easy to care for, once the tanks are set up. Both tanks are at 78 degrees, they have plenty of plants and seem happy. I like the girls because they have a lot of attitude!
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Betta usually hang around near the top.. They tend to be really active in warmer water, and not move around in cooler water. A 5 gallon would be a good choice.
If you want two females, I'm sure you know this but they will also fight and would have to be separate. So you could put one in your 2.5 gallon and then buy another 2.5 gallon, or a 5 gallon so you only need one heater. The only difference I'd say with girls is that they are very hyper and swim around like crazy!

Tags
betta care tips