Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #11 
bettalover06

I started searching for heaters but I didn't realize how many kinds are out there. Different voltage etc.I'm not sure what kind to get and even for the thermometer. Do you guys know any heater that is portable?? I mean something that is battery operated. If not then what brands do you guys recommend getting. Also, Would it be okay to turn off the filter for like 5 mins since each time I try to feed my boys that filter moves (food) so fast they can barely catch up and have dinner. :(( Thank you guys
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #12 
MaisyDawgThirteen

There is a sticky in the betta fish housing section that shows how to baffle your filter. For a 2.5 Gallon, I'd do about a 20 watt heater.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I highly doubt there's battery powered heaters for fish tanks. It wouldn't be a good idea since you could not notice the battery died and your fish could get cold, you'd have to buy new batteries which would probably be expensive, not practical.
Baffling your filter would be a good idea.
For five gallons there is a tetra fully submersible heater that you can get at walmart that has always done me a good job :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #14 
bettalover06

thank you ALL so much for all the help! much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #15 
makoisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
For five gallons there is a tetra fully submersible heater that you can get at walmart that has always done me a good job :)
I have a small Tetra submersible heater for my 2.5 gallon, and it's pretty good! I got it for about $15 and it keeps the water about 78F, and my boy seems happy.

I did notice that when I first put the heater in, I didn't have it fully submerged like the instructions said to, the water barely reached the top. Once I added an inch or two more water the temp rose from about 75 to 78F.
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #16 
Pogthefish

They should be ok 3+ apiece, do your best! And they are okay in that small tank, but will be much much happier in tnks where they cannot see each other and have more swim room

gud luck!!
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #17 
Pogthefish

wow im off topic, oh well
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #18 
bettalover06

Just an update. My boys are now move into a 10G tank, with heater, water filter, and hood. My only issue now is how often do I change my water. Lately, I have been doing 100% water change. Would this be too much? I just feel like doing 50% per week will still keep some of those waste in the gravel, and water wont really be clean since it would be mix into the old water that has their urine etc in it.

Thanks for the kind replies :)
Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #19 
Shirleythebetta

I use a syphon and syphon every inch of gravel in the tank. I also swish the gravel a little to help some of the gunk hit the filter. and I do about 30 to 40 percent water change a week. If you do 100 every week I don't think it will cycle. I believe you should have a cycle in a 10 gallon tank because it's healthier? Hopefully someone who knows more about cycles can elaborate on that better
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #20 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover06 View Post
Just an update. My boys are now move into a 10G tank, with heater, water filter, and hood. My only issue now is how often do I change my water. Lately, I have been doing 100% water change. Would this be too much? I just feel like doing 50% per week will still keep some of those waste in the gravel, and water wont really be clean since it would be mix into the old water that has their urine etc in it.

Thanks for the kind replies :)
Wow what a big improvement! They sure must like the extra swimming space. Have you cycled the 10g? I highly recommend cycling any tanks above 5g, makes it easier on you because you can do less water changes. . So I recommend cycling it.

100% water changes is a big too much. . . 50% water changes is much better since the tank is uncycled, and also Bettas don't pee they just expel ammonia. You can just buy a gravel vacuum and vacuum any uneaten food/waste that's just sitting on top of the gravel.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta care tips