Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 05:07 AM   #1 
Tamyu

Eating crickets?

In a few days, I will have my first betta... And this is something I am curious about.
I have three tree frogs who live pretty much entirely on live crickets... So I always have a case of crickets on hand. Some are very tiny (too small to be a real meal for even the tiniest frog) when I buy them. I usually just feed them until they get bigger, but I had to wonder. Would a betta eat them? Or, well, I am sure it would at least try to eat them, but would it be a healthy and safe snack? I have seen a lot of mentions of mosquitos and flies being tossed into the tank, but nothing about feeder crickets.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

that is an interesting question... But aren't crickets more hard shelled? I had mealworms, and I had to deshell them! What a messy and nasty job
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #3 
lvandert

I actually just bought some baby crickets to try for conditioning my female and male. Their pretty soft bodied all things considered and my two LOVED them. Hopefully there are no ill effects, although I dont see why their would be any...
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

any live foods have a chance of carrying something, unfortunately. But, if you avoid certain "high risk" ones like black worms (most people I know have problems with them) you should be good.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #5 
lvandert

My LPS breeds all of their live and frozen foods so I'm not to concerned there. I also know that these have been gut loaded full of nutrition
Old 03-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

nice
Old 03-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
Tamyu

I will give it a try!
The tiniest baby crickets are very soft, and almost transparent at first. I usually buy a bunch of the little ones and feed them to my frogs when they get big enough. The larger sizes the pet shop sells are either too big or would get too big while waiting their turn. (The shop with the good crickets is kind of far away so I like to buy fifty or so in a go instead of going back every few days.)

I am pretty sure that they are safe as the shop breeds and hatches them. I wish I could breed them myself, but I have enough to worry about without trying to get cricket eggs to hatch. :)
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Eeuuwww. Lol I hate bugs.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

ugh trust me I could not cut up another mealworm for my bettas. mosquitos, sure, feed directly....cutting anything alive up -gag- no way!!! D: although I did let Shiloh beat up that bottle fly....then removed it when it died >.> I'm mean.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #10 
lvandert

lol you know what? I found frozen mosquito larva at petsmart in their freezer with all of the frozen foods. It was pretty cheap 4.99 for a sheet of blocks (like daphnia or brine shrimp) And I swear there is over a hundred of those little guys in one block. With an eye dropper their pretty dang easy to feed.