Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

well, what's wrong with him visually? color, round belly, laying on side, burned gills, missing fins, black fins...?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #12 
brettwashere

Here's she story. I was in one of my local petco stores and came across a over halfmoon. He was awesome when he flared up but did look pretty unhealthy in the stored. Brought him home and placed him in an established, divided 10 gal with another male. He was somewhat active at first but within half a day moved to a rear corner near the surface and refuses to eat. I pulled him out and have him in a 40 oz cup so I can watch him closely and give frequent water changes. He still hasn't eatin, going on day 4, and I've noticed that he lists to one side when he comes to rest. He also seems to swim as if he is hinged in the middle sometimes, instead of nice fluid body movement no other signs of disease that I can see. Nice color, gills seem ok, no spots or fin rot. About to start salt treatment for constipation when water reaches room temp and has stood for a bit.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

It's probably something internal, or could be from water temperature, or chemistry. Do his fins clamp up? like... they aren't being held very grand? any gasping?

I've had Admiral, who was thin from malnutrition. He was "hinged", and often drifted because he lacked strength. Epsom salt could help, and get him on a high protein diet... live food, frozen, pellet... if you can, get the water temperature to at least 76.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #14 
brettwashere

Water temp was constant 78 and the other male in the tanks is still all over the tank and has a healthy appetite. I am floating the cup in a heated tank and try to keep the house at 78. All my betta are fed freeze dried blood worms, hakari pellet, and I was offering betta flakes and just about all my fish ignore them. I've tried to tempt him with everything but no appetite. He dose sit at the bottom listing slightly to the side and swims real fast to the surface and takes a big glup of air , then back to the bottom. Still waiting on the water to reach a good temp, then in the salt bath for a day or so. He is also very slender, probably from no food. His fins are somewhat clamped and will not flare at mirrors, males, or females

Last edited by brettwashere; 03-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

AQ salt might help... But try epsom first, in case he is just backed up
Old 03-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #16 
brettwashere

Ok thanks, I have him floating in a 1 pint container of epsom solution, in a heated aquarium. He's been there for almost two hours now and no noticable change. I'll leave him be for a day, then swap out new epsom solution.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

let the epsom salt work takes patience, for meds to kick in.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #18 
brettwashere

Ok, thank you for your help. I'm keeping a close eye on him through the night, and my wife is off tomorrow so she can watch while I'm at work. Water change in the morning and fingers crossed.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #19 
iceyrose

Well first off try answering a few qwestion..there's a tread or sticky u can fill out....what is the temp of the water? Peramiters of the water amonia nitrates & ph? Do u have a filter system? What size is your tank? How often do u do water changes? What's the feeding schedule like? What do u feed ur betta? What symptoms have ur betta benn showing?

My guy neacco his belly had been swollen like a prego lol...except between like 11pm to like 5 am...he hadn't whent in like a Week now...then a pepple size #2 a few days ago. Plus I asked for help with neacco...
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #20 
brettwashere

It takes a long time to do anything on my cell, so I won't type it all out, but he is a new addition. His tank mate is in good health and under close watch, so for now I am ruling out my tank conditions. As stated he was removed from "population" and place in a 1 pt container of epsom salt solution and floated in a females tank to keep the water temp constant and aggression low. My temp is a steady 78. Check out a few of my earlier posts, they are a little more informative.

Tags
empsont salt