Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

my fish were on the crucial edge. THAT disease, nothing can stop it. only thing that can work, is kanaplex, or something similar, IF the fish survives longer than 24 hours which most do not... I had 2 that did. one pulled through but died after, because his organs failed, despite our efforts. If I had another blue betta, who had this terrible disease, I would resort to the amputate, AQ salt heavy dose, clean water, and kanaplex. Give them a longer time to survive... give the medicine time to work, and maybe, save a blue betta. I want a blue betta again - just I know between 1-4 months, if the betta is from this store, he dies from the disease because it is worked into his wonky genetics D:
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #12 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

you cant do a heave dose of AQ salt, the salt its self will cause organ failur... use the recomended dose for no more than 10days
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

I haven't used AQ salt :3 again, except on Tina, but she is recovering really well on low doses. I'd never do more than 3 teaspoons per gallon, for 10-14 days as recommended.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

I do know trimming is recommended in cases of severe fin rot or caudal damage, but it's not something I've had to attempt thankfully.

I've always wondered if it's better to sedate a fish first with clove oil before attempting it, as I can imagine being taken out of the water and then having parts of its tail/fins removed is not very pleasant for the betta. I believe they do also have some feeling in their fins, but someone feel free to correct me.

You also have to watch for signs of infection, as you have in actuality just created a wound that bacteria could possibly take advantage of.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #15 
OMGemily

i know there are other, less risky ways, and i know its kind of a last resort thing for SEVERE cases, and that it would require some major care afterwards. and i dont think i could do it even if i thought i needed to. but hypothetically say that was like, the only way he could survive or something, those of you who have had to resort to it, could he still swim, if it was on all of his fins? i dont plan on doing this, i know the precautions, and this is purely hypothetical. im just curious is all
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

sedating would be better... like I said, know your doses and you could potentially do it, if need be

For my betta, when I had to do it, it was on two parts: caudal and dorsal. She had to get used to not having all fins, but she could swim.

In similarity to amputating all fins, if need be, it would be closest to a fish getting his/her fins chewed up - either from fin rot, or another fish. I had Reggie and Shiloh, both who had been attacked and their fins a mess, or non-existent. It was hard for them to swim, or at least navigate around corners and turns....

If one were to do this, on all fins, the larger the space the better (to avoid infections that would come easier in a smaller space that collects ammonia faster), however, they'd need to keep it shallow enough for the betta to reach the surface if he had troubles swimming

just my input =D

edit: not for the faint of heart, and not for fragile-immune-system bettas. Last you need, is a very very sick betta to get more sick from stress, being out of water, and (another) open wound.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #17 
NinjaBetta 18

Amputation? Ouch! ><
I would be too afraid to do it unless
it was the only way to save the fish.
NinjaBetta 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #18 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
sedating would be better... like I said, know your doses and you could potentially do it, if need be

For my betta, when I had to do it, it was on two parts: caudal and dorsal. She had to get used to not having all fins, but she could swim.

In similarity to amputating all fins, if need be, it would be closest to a fish getting his/her fins chewed up - either from fin rot, or another fish. I had Reggie and Shiloh, both who had been attacked and their fins a mess, or non-existent. It was hard for them to swim, or at least navigate around corners and turns....

If one were to do this, on all fins, the larger the space the better (to avoid infections that would come easier in a smaller space that collects ammonia faster), however, they'd need to keep it shallow enough for the betta to reach the surface if he had troubles swimming

just my input =D

edit: not for the faint of heart, and not for fragile-immune-system bettas. Last you need, is a very very sick betta to get more sick from stress, being out of water, and (another) open wound.

thank you :) that answered my question haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaBetta 18 View Post
Amputation? Ouch! ><
I would be too afraid to do it unless
it was the only way to save the fish.
same here... i kind of think of it as euthanesia... only if ABSOLUTELY necessary
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Exactly. Like I said... I really REALLY want a blue betta again but I know if I do, from this store, I have now... what...70% chance they have that terrible disease? And dare I get one, I will do this to keep him alive long enough for meds to help, keep it from spreading and attempt the next-to-impossible: own a blue betta

Tags
amputation, fin rot, swim, swimming