Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #1 
IdahoBetta

Help! Rescued Fish off Floor

Okay so I've had Vega exactly one week. Today I came home from late afternoon class to find him on the floor below his tank, how he jumped out I'm not sure, it does have a lid. Now I am covering all possible exit routes.

So I scooped him up and put him in his cup thinking he might have just jumped out with in the last few minutes and I can get him back. Lucky me, he starts pumping his gills as soon as he's in the water.

Right now I am babying him in his cup in just enough water to swim around and get to the surface with ease. I am also floating his cup in a bowl of warm water to keep it warm.

What else can I do to help Vega recover from jumping out of the tank?
IdahoBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 
jfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBetta View Post
Okay so I've had Vega exactly one week. Today I came home from late afternoon class to find him on the floor below his tank, how he jumped out I'm not sure, it does have a lid. Now I am covering all possible exit routes.

So I scooped him up and put him in his cup thinking he might have just jumped out with in the last few minutes and I can get him back. Lucky me, he starts pumping his gills as soon as he's in the water.

Right now I am babying him in his cup in just enough water to swim around and get to the surface with ease. I am also floating his cup in a bowl of warm water to keep it warm.

What else can I do to help Vega recover from jumping out of the tank?
First you need to make sure that his water isn't changing temperature too much, what kind of tank is his normal tank? does it have a heater? It would be allot better to float him in that assuming it is big enough. As for everything else you might try searching the forums for an epsom salt bath. i'm sure a more experienced member will reply to you soon with more specific questions and advice, just keep him comfortable
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #3 
IdahoBetta

Yes his regular tank is heated and big enough to float him. I will move him in there to float, and try searching the forum.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #4 
TorisExtraordinaryBettas

oh you are so luck you found him right after he jumped out of the tank, i had one jump out of the tank and when i found him he was all dried and kind of stuck on my dresser i put him in the tank not really knowing what to do with him and he thankfully started to swim around.

Any who i would try to keep all the water conditions and temp consistant, dont put him next to any other bettas you may have... but every now and again you get a jumper and if thats the case all you can really do is keep it covered, or leave about a 2inch sapce between the water and the rim of the bowl/tank
TorisExtraordinaryBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Clean warm water, as suggested. Stress coat (has Aloe in it) is good. IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) is good for fins and scales. Just as good and easier to find is Rooibos tea, with no additives or flavorings.

Additional help is on the way, I'm sure. In the meantime. try the search function and see if there are other threads on this topic.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It occurred to me that relabeling this thread might get more responses. The word "rescue" has a specific meaning around here and your problem isn't it. One of the moderators might help here.

"My Betta jumped out. What can I do?" <---that kind of thing.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #7 
IdahoBetta

Yes I feel very fortunate that I found him as soon as I did. Today I don't have any class so I will go and find some stress coat or some Rooibos tea. When I add the stress coat or tea should I take the filter out?

Update: I let Vega float for a few hours after getting him off the floor. I let him out of the cup and into his tank and watched him until I went to bed (about 3-4 hours). This morning he is looking a lot more active and is swimming around like he nothing happened. I'm still going to keep an eye on him.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #8 
underdebate

I'm so glad he's doing okay now! Gosh, you're so lucky you found him.

(I just have to ask: is he named after anything in particular? I know that's a super-random question, I just had to ask!)
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #9 
IdahoBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdebate View Post
I'm so glad he's doing okay now! Gosh, you're so lucky you found him.

(I just have to ask: is he named after anything in particular? I know that's a super-random question, I just had to ask!)
Here is the thread I started last week when I needed help naming him.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=95995

I absolutely do not trust Vega to be alone now after this jumping incident. I knew bettas could jump before this happened but now I'm paranoid and covering the space above the filter which I where I think he managed to jump out from, any time I am gone.

He's still doing just fine a full 24 hours later.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Be sure that covering the holes in the lid doesnt remove all his air holes ;)
How is he acting? From the sounds of it, he doesn't seem to phased out.
I've heard of fish completely drying out, being put back and water and miraculously coming back to life.
Also, how high was the fall? Fins torn? Trouble swimming?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote