Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Exclamation SEVERELY bad! three blue females attacked!

Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? guppies

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetramin pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, bloodworms once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? nutrafin aqua + conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
cycled tank
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4 (usual)
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins have gone darker blue, but similarity to rot I've experienced only once before with another female. Dorsal fin on one has disintegrated partially, the other two looked fine until I removed them from the tank into untreated water, of a 10 gallon, where they are LINED with the dark blue.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acting the same as usual. eating fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Marge had it before, I treated immediately with kanaplex, it left. It came back about a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? suggested kanaplex and furan-2 mix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? They came from 0.75 ammonia level cups, used to have rot... they got better, then Marge was the one displaying the odd "clump" of blue about a month ago. It never spread, but I was sure it needed to be treated. Then it was gone, and now it is back and it HAS sprad and it HAS damaged her fins.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 12-13 months...

Guys I've never seen this kind of rot! Sarah had it, with the orange on her fin... Not many people replied to it, so I assumed it a dead end especially when she died, after that orange fin disintegrated. Marge is on the same route - her fin is disintegrating. The others LOOKED fine, until I put them in the 100% clean water of the unfiltered 10 gallon I just filled. They are ALL infected. I'm about to fish out Rose just in case (I cannot find her in the dense 29 gallon), but all the guppies were fine and it appeared before the guppies.

PLEASE any suggestions of what to do!!! I'm trying to build my sorority and they're dying! I've done the Furan-2 mixed with Kanaplex... It looked to have been going but then the "rot" or whatever it is came back and came with a vengeance.... it's destroyed most of her dorsal fin, and it's LINING the fins of ALL my blues!!!

excuse the cr....terribly pictures, and another note:
the distinct blue rot that was lining my other two females is no longer so viisble... but i can see that it is there - you cannot tell on the pictures it's too faint. but it's there!

PICTURES: 1= Marge 2= Marge and Tina 3= Zebra 4= Tina
Marge has the most damage, Zebra does have the outline (now that the "clump of blue" abnormality is "hiding" there's a smoky ash grey lining rather than the blue!), Tina has large blue clumps not visible to pictures, but the second they were in that new water, they all showed the intensity of this "rot"!
Attached Images

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 03-07-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I can't think of anything to do other than what you have already done. Hopefully someone else with more experience can help you.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I hope so I have no idea what it is... With Sarah we treated with AQ salt, with no luck... Maracyn 2, and no luck... Kanaplex, and no luck.... I seriously am out of luck and thoughts of what to do. Everything makes it worse!! And all three are infected!! I gotta find Rose in the tank... She has an underlying blue color, plus it only seems to affect my bettas, and no other fish...,.

edit: found her. She has it too, but not as bad. I don't know... it sounds crazy... but I think I might have beter chances of finding out what could stop it by splitting all four up.... One on clean water, one on AQ, one on Maracyn 2 or Furan 2, and one on strictly kanaplex

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 03-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I've retested the nitrite, nitrate and ammonia. Looks like nitrate is between 0 and 5
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I hope they don't mind, but I'd like to post a part of what they said, (yahooanswers). I was hoping one of the knowledgeable ones from there would answer (and gratefully, no snipping or "yelling" at me :) )

"Its a Bacterial Columnaris ,its not like the normal cotton wool growths you would normally see this is more extreme .
Meds can knock out the beneficial bacteria but not all meds will only some
To treat your fish Treat with copper sulfate or antibiotic"

The only problem is I cannot get my hands on those meds. D:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Sarah could've transfered it, when i had no idea she was sick with it. After she got over that fin and body rot I did try adding her into the sorority (the long way...remove females, do a water change, move everything, add them all back with her...) but they did not take to her so I had to remove her.

I just don't have a chance to get copper sulfate for a while.... And my guppies don't have it -.-
Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

well heyt he plants are already from the infectious tank anyways so they mind as well have some cover not like I can screw anything else up at this moment!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #8 
Laki

Oh no. I hope this can be beat!! Good luck to you and your girls!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

thanks. This way if one does die they aren't in the 29 and I can 1. find them and 2. get them out -.- I'm having no luck. I'm trying to make my sorority bigger :( not working so well.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I've noticed that Zebra has had a long very very thin (hair strand thin) odd white/clear "poo" coming out. Now, I've never dealt with internal parasites but I do have Jungle fizzy tabs for internal/external parasites. From what I have read, this is probably internal parasites. Yikes!

Maybe that is what is causing it?! I've never seen any of mine poop like that. Or a transparent/white poo either I've set a fizzy tab in there. none of the other girls have it - or so it looks. For now.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 03-09-2012 at 04:49 PM.