Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #1 
hissien

How long does copper take to kill snails/shrimp?

Okay I have had a snail for two weeks and he is still alive and well, he is grazing on a leaf right now.

But...... I got 10 ghost shrimp yesterday and I believe 7 have died. The bodies were intact and my betta shows no interest in even the smallest ones. The rasboras do not either.

The temperature is a steady 80 degrees nitrates ammonia and nitrites are good. There is no chlorine or chloromines.

I am stumped. I have a 115 year old house that's piping is questionable at best but I don't know if it is copper or if it was changed.

Would any sizable amount of copper that could kill shrimp kill a snail? And they haven't died all at once but slowly, they turn pale, flail about for awhile and die. The pH is neutral as well. Any thoughts?
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Snails are inverts.. I think all inverts are intolerant of copper. It could be what's killing them, I think they'd be more tolerant than shrimp for sure.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #3 
hissien

But would they die slowly or all at once? Because a few are alive and the snail is fine.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #4 
Mo

The copper might as well and have been the problem, all invertebrates are intolerant of copper, which is usually why they seem to suddenly die when ich medications are introduc into the tank as most contain copper. They can both survive with a small, diluted amount of copper as my fertilizer for the plants (seachem flourish) contains a very minimal amount of copper, my invertibrates don't seem to be effected in any noticeable amounts

While all invertebrates are intolerant of copper some do better than others, as you've found snails and shrimp are a good example. While shrimp would suddenly perish, snails might do a bit better off in the conditions.

There a even a few more examples in the home Aquarium, Plecos and Corydoras. While both are intolerant of salt as they are scaleless,Plecos tolerate it much better, and Corydoras almost die at a higher amount.

Yes, they would all die at once. At any sign of an unreasonable, unprefered amount of any substance will effect the live specimens within the tank negatively and can easily cause a mass death. Usually effecting the weaker first. Your other shrimp will most likely perish too unless the amount of copper is diluted

Last edited by Mo; 03-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 
hissien

Now the only question is.......

How to remove it? A simple way would be to do a 100 percent water change with RO water. But seeing as that is expensive and more importantly would throw of the balance of my tank.

Would a carbon filter help? How sure are we that this is copper? I really hope it isn't because shrimp are so interesting and I don't want to kill anymore or my snail timothy.......
Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=75841
quick search- seems pretty difficult to remove D:
Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 
Mo

Seachem's Cuprisorp is an effective copper sensitive resin, that commonly works towards eliminating copper
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 
hissien

The shrimp are basically doomed but will timothy(snail) die too? He's been around for two weeks so far.....
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #9 
Mo

depends on the snail's ability to withstand these kinds of conditions. Most will handle it better than shrimp, yet they will still die due to the long term effect it has on all types of invertebrates
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, you already said you lost several.. So I'm guessing it'll get him soon :/