Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM   #11 
hissien

:( several shrimp not snails, I had loaches and they killed my other one. But thank you all for the help I will try to find those chemicals to remove the copper.

Just to be clear this IS a copper issue right? I don't want to add anything unless I have too....
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

This hasn't been mentioned but it could help a lot. I know that copper leaches in the water MUCH more when you use warm/hot water from your tap.. I believe our water heater adds copper to the water as well. If you have this problem, just fill a large tub with ice cold water, and let it sit until it reaches room temperature, or heat until it is the same temp as your tank water.

From a shrimp website:
"Most important in water is ensuring that chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals are removed with dechlorinators prior to adding to the tank. With their increased sensitivity to heavy metals shrimp are more susceptible to leached ions from hot water systems in which water contact with copper pipes is longer. It is highly recommended not to use any hot tap water when performing water changes."
http://www.planetinverts.com/aquatic_invertebrates.html
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #13 
hissien

Thank you!!! Another may have died but two I know for a fact are alive. if they live for a week I will rule out copper as the cause.
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote