Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #1 
frazier71

i want to talk about bettafix

So my perseus ripped his fins up and despite every one telling me not to I used bettafix. Over night completely healed his tail and almost the rest of his fins it was amazing! I woke up in shock. I did exact dosage and everything. What is peoples problem with this stuff?
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #2 
Draug Isilme

I've never used the stuff myself, but from what I just read from other peoples opinions/experiences it sounds like it's had good AND bad outcomes for various betta owners.... So while you were fortunate enough to have a fantastic response from the product, I suppose people try to deter others because it's a risk factor. There are other products you can use to treat your fish with little worry of killing your fish with it..
Something like ripped fins isn't usually a very sever injury to need to treat products with, but it doesn't hurt to help the healing process as long as you don't exceed the needed dosage and time period of treatment... Glad to hear your fish had such a wonderful response to the bettafix, though ^.^ Sounds super scary O.o but still excruciatingly effective!
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 
nel3

if im correct most of us stay away from that med because the tea tree oils. i dont doubt it it works but id rather not use it on fish with labyrinth organs. i think its because the tea tree oil can do harm to the labyrinth organ in the long run.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #4 
lvandert

I used a drop of it in one gallon of water (not wanting to over dose) and it worked great! I split the gallon among two hospital tanks as well so it was super diluted but was still there. It healed up fins and scaled in 2 days. I was super amazed
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #5 
Cinderwolf

Not sure about Betta Fix but I used the more concentrated Melafix ( .2 cc in 2 gallon) after trying to get Ben's fin rot under control for a long while with just salt and fresh water but that wasn't working. So I used the melafix and now his fins are all healed and starting to regrow : )
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #6 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I used a drop of it in one gallon of water (not wanting to over dose) and it worked great! I split the gallon among two hospital tanks as well so it was super diluted but was still there. It healed up fins and scaled in 2 days. I was super amazed
oops I meant melafix, not betta fix
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #7 
brettwashere

Hi. Figured I share my experience with betta fix as well. No problems so far. I attempted to breed my crown tails and all I got was a beat up and harassed female. The breeders guide I was using recommended betta fix every time as a preventative. She had a torn fin that was torn almost to her body, one nip on her top fin and several scales missing. I follow direction EXACTLY and mix up one fresh pint each day with 9 drops, per instructions. She has been on treatment for two days now and she looks good. I have her cup floating in a heated tanks and she shows no signs of stress. I'll keep you guys updated but seems to be OK.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Most people I know over here in Australia recommend using melafix for bad fin damage.

I personally have used it on a couple of my bettas and seen no ill-effects.

It seems to be more an overseas thing that melafix/bettafix is bad. I'm still out as to whether it is harmful to labyrinth breathing fish, as the evidence is mostly anecdotal at best. There have been no actual controlled studies or tests done.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #9 
frazier71

I think these rumors started over people using it too late or using it to treat something they thought their Bettas had but actually had something different that ended up killing them. I called api curious about it and they said they have been testing Bettafix and melafix on labyrinth fish for a long time and If it was going to hurt them they wouldn't be selling it. Soo is a very reputable company I love everything they have so far. Over night my Bettas tail was healed ! Literally 7 hours!!
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

It never made a difference to my boy Apollo. Just made his water smell funny. The reason I don't use it is the risk to labyrinth organs if you overdose. In the recommended dosage, it is unlikely to harm them, but an accidental overdose can irrite the labyrinth organ fatally.

Personally, I don't think it does anything that clean warm water won't do, and in the case of infections etc it isn't an effective medication the way Maracyn etc might be.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote