Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #11 
sparkyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I don't think it's a sign of health and happiness. Apollo did it even when he had severe fin rot, and you see bettas in the cruddiest conditions in shops doing it too. On the flip side, many healthy "happy" males don't do it at all.

I think it's just them saying, "Look at mah pad, ladies. Bring me your eggs, that I might fertilise them!"
He, he! Love it!

My little boy is still at it, not making it much bigger but maintaining it and making it thicker. I think it must be the Rooibos because those bubbles are lasting a long time!
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #12 
NinjaBetta 18

My boy hasn't made any nests in a while and
none of my girls have ever made one...
I feel left out.
NinjaBetta 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #13 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyjoe View Post
He, he! Love it!

My little boy is still at it, not making it much bigger but maintaining it and making it thicker. I think it must be the Rooibos because those bubbles are lasting a long time!
It's like you discovered, sometimes you have to move stuff to find a bubble nest. You cannot see Rosso's bubble nest until you lift up the lid. I was shocked the other day to lift up his lid and find a huge, foamy bubble nest.

As for the reasons they do it, not 100% sure. I think part of it is just instinct to build nest in hopes that maybe a female will come by (not happening in this apt... we have only males to this date). We can hope that it is a sign of happiness, but honestly, happiness is not scientifically measurable. Good luck on seeing more bubble nests in the future.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #14 
Myates

Bubble nest building is instinctual- either for mating, territorial and even a weather system coming through will bring on bubble nest building.
Some make them more then others.. not a sign of happiness or health, but we like to think so.
Sometimes water that is too hard/soft will make it very difficult for the bubbles to hold up- since they use spit, they need the right water conditions to hold them together. It's easier when there is something floating at the top for them to build underneath.
I have a boy who will only build a bubble nest when I place whole leaves in his tank- IAL and what I commonly place in there, dried oak leaves (naturally dried/fallen). Some people use styrofoam cups as well, especially breeders, as it helps keeps the bubbles located in one spot.
As Rosso mentioned, females can be a big factor too- I notice my males not making much of a nest when they are not in view of a female, but when I have a female next to their tank, their nests tend to be bigger and fuller.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote