Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 
jeffandcole

Exclamation Do betta fish bite?

I have never had a fish in my life and im very worried that my betta will bite me. I have read that they do and can bite if you put ur finger in their tank. Is this true? im very worried
jeffandcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #2 
styggian

Anything with a mouth can bite, but they couldn't hurt you. None of mine ever have.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 
Aus

They're not like... piranhas. It's not a "bite" as much as a tiny pinch, and more amusing then scary (than it can be a little shock the first time).

My daughter's fish doesn't bite at all, but mine will leap out of the water to nip - he's a greedy, highly aggressive fish.

You just can't tell which ones will bite. But it's absolutely nothing to worry about, it's not like they can cause an injury.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

It's very tru but it doesn't hurt because they really don't grab your skin. It just feels like they are touching your with their mouths.
I have a sorority and everytime I put my hand in they act like pirahnas! They are just hoping you have food, it's not maliciously.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #5 
jeffandcole

ok im just a very cautious person and am very afraid of fish i was told they didnt bite but later learned they had the ability to.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

I had one male bite me before and he didn't let go -_- But other than that one out of hundreds of bettas I've had over the years has bitten me.

Actually them biting is interesting. I read somewhere that bettas, if larger, would have more powerful bites than a great white shark. Interesting. But of course our bettas will never hurt you with a bite.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #7 
jeffandcole

You mean all the fish you have had they have all bitten you?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

No lol. Only one male, out of hundreds of bettas, has bitten me lol.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #9 
jeffandcole

o lol thanks so much im not sure when i should try putting my fingers in his aquarium
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #10 
MollyJean

How to explain this.. A betta bite has about as much pressure as your figure uses to press a key on your computer keyboard.. maybe less. You don't feel a "bite" really, more like something poking you that isn't sharp. An eraser or something. I doubt anyone has ever gotten a bruise or had blood drawn by a betta. It would take a HUGE betta to do that.

They don't have teeth, and as far as them being "Fighting fish" goes, if that's the root of your concern, a betta's tail is very delicate, so if a betta bites a betta tail, it might do damage, but that's like you or I biting a chunk out of toilet paper. Betta fins are easy to damage. Your finger is not.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote