Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #11 
Badjer

Well no offense, but even buying fish out of pity is just ENCOURAGING them to continue to sell fish. No matter what, they made money off of you. Walmart will not stop selling bettas until they're losing money from carrying them. Considering they spend very little money to get and care for their bettas to begin with, this is unlikely to happen. Your fish isn't a rescue, he's a purchase. I'm not saying I'm not pleased that another betta is in a proper, happy home because I totally am, and I really hope I don't offend you! This is just a reality we all need to face...buying fish doesn't count as a rescue, nor does it help things long term.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #12 
frazier71

I didn't buy him. I went back and hassled them until they gave me him
frazier71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #13 
KappaTheImp

I bought a sick fish from Walmart three days ago, poor thing never stood a chance. They gave me another, and he's in my hospital tank right this moment being treated for ich. Hopefullly he doesn't have anything I don't know about.
KappaTheImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #14 
frazier71

Did the little guy you bought pass away?
Old 03-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #15 
Badjer

Whoops sorry, I must have misread that! I'm glad then. You should definitely post some pictures! (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #16 
frazier71

I will as soon as he comes out of hiding!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #17 
IndeedPanda

The two Walmarts near me no longer carry them. People bought them, but they also made youtube videos of walking into the store and showing the dirty water and stuff. They also talked about price. Get a healthy betta and it'll last 3-5 years. Get one from walmart ad either get lucky, get a new one every few weeks, or buy meds and spend a lot of time treating. The store began chasing people out of that section, but then people began stealing the fish (claiming "SAVED BETTAS" and Walmart stopped carrying them.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #18 
LionCalie

I wouldn't be surprised if our local Wal-Mart* stores hate seeing me in the fish section. When I see poor conditions then I ask to talk to the manager. They take their sweet time, probably hoping I will give up and go home, but I wait. Then I firmly, but respectfully, explain how dead and decomposing Bettas aren't good for "business". Let alone the ethical/humane issues in allowing the fish to suffer in horrendous conditions.

I have countless photos and videos of horrendous neglect, which I send to corporate.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #19 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if our local Wal-Mart* stores hate seeing me in the fish section. When I see poor conditions then I ask to talk to the manager. They take their sweet time, probably hoping I will give up and go home, but I wait. Then I firmly, but respectfully, explain how dead and decomposing Bettas aren't good for "business". Let alone the ethical/humane issues in allowing the fish to suffer in horrendous conditions.

I have countless photos and videos of horrendous neglect, which I send to corporate.
lol I'm tha same way, minus taking photos and sending them to cooperate. I should though
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #20 
frazier71

My little guy has velvet :( I hope he makes it he's not doing well