Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #1 
jazzy434

Unhappy new owner

Me and my husband decided to get my daughter a pet. We went to the pet store and the employee recommended getting a betta fish. He showed us everything we needed which was a 1 gallon tank, plastic decorations, leaf bed or something and the food. Later that day we went to another pet store and they had a sale for 2 betta fish for the price of one. Which we went for taking the first betta fish back. I was aware that you cant put them in the tank together which was great because our tank came with a divider. After doing research I'm freaking out because I feel like the tank is too small especially since its divided. I now regret getting two fish because I didnt realize how much went into their care. The employee didnt tell me I needed all this extra stuff. If I get a heater, filter and the water conditioner will they be okay in the 1 gallon tank? Also why are there little air bubbles all over the tank and my fish seem to stay near the top of the tank. I feel like they're depressed.
jazzy434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM   #2 
wystearya

The little bubbles might be bubbles nests, made by the Betta fish males.

Your tank is too small for one Betta, let alone two. Unfortunately, pet stores love to sell these tiny tanks. You could take back one of the fish if you feel you cannot properly care for two of them right now. You really need at least a 2 gallon tank (or 2 gallons of space in a divided tank) for -each- fish.

I don't think you will find a heater rated for a 1 gallon tank. I also want to ask if the divider has holes in it, to allow water flow. If not, it is useless to get a heater or filter for this tank if it will only be able to do one side. Another thing to think about is space. Each fish already has a very small amount of room. Filters and heaters and such take up space. I *strongly* recommend a new, larger tank. You can get some bare tanks fairly cheap if you look around! I am sure some members here will know where. <3

Water conditioner is a MUST have item!! Chlorine in your tap water can and will kill fish.

I'm also curious about what kind of food you got for them? Betta pellets are generally better than flakes.

I wish you lots of luck, and I am glad you came here looking for information about your new pets! They will be much happier, and healthier, with proper care!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 
Coryguy01

I have owned bettas for years, and they were the first fish I ever bought. I mean no disrespect to any opinion, but there is a lot of hype about fish and fish keeping out there. At one time I was homeless and kept a betta in a gallon bucket (feeding it whatever I ate) for six months in weather as low as 40 degrees. Cleaning and replenishing the water with whatever I had available. We both made it through, and that betta (Mr. Blue) lived three years in a gallon tank, in my apartment....no heater.. no water treatment... no heater.... no nothin......just water, care, and love.
They are as hardy as beautiful......and don't go down easy....like the name, they are fighters. They will be your friendliest fish.....and come to greet you at feeding time...and a joy to watch them attack the flakes....thus great for kids. They are great with most non-ornamental fish...but may attack (anabantids) like gouramies, or fan-tail guppies...but I've had them with all kinds of community tank fish...but they will defend themselves very agressively when attacked..(they don't like their fins being nipped, or their space invaded)...they are beautiful but slow.......so be aware....they can't manuever very well in fast current...so filter flow can be a problem.
I may get into contraversy here, but bettas don't need the water quality some fish need, so filters may not be needed in small tanks just for them. Some people feel that the beauty and exoticness of the betta leads to exotic and special needs. The fact is, the betta will survive just like goldfish, and maybe better and more colorful and personable.
Stick your finger in the tank....and the betta will be the first to kiss it........
Coryguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 
JBosley

1 gallon is fine! Maybe an upgrade in the future I had my 1 guy in a 1 gallon and he was so happy! Made bubble nests and everything, then when I upgraded him he just hid for 2 months, so I moved him back to a 1 gallon.

Small tanks are harder to heat, so I am told, but I have had no problems!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

If you absolutely cannot buy another home for betta you can keep 2 in one gall, but you will need to change 100%of the water every about 3 days. Did you put water conditioner? Like wystearya wrote if you didn't it will kill both of them. If you didn't you can put them in spring water Deer park. Not purified water though and run to buy a water conditioner. Prime by Seachem; stress coat API,aqueon Betta bowl is good to use. Well it a lot of more probably i don't know them all.

Better way if you can buy another 1 gall. It will be better. You don't need filter for one gallon. For one gall you will need to do 1-50% and 1-100% water changes a week.

What temperature in your house? My bettas perfectly fine in 72 some 74*. And i am afraid to write it don't guys get mad at me. I have a bettas at doctor office and during the winter he put 68-69* on sunday and monday and bettas are fine for long time.

What kind and how much food you giving them? Are they active?

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 
Coryguy01

Please, I mean no disrespect.......but bettas do not live in spring water...they live in muddy rice paddies in SO. East Asia.........
They found bettas living in bombed-out fields in SO. Vietnam in 1970....how hardy is that.....
You don't need to pay alot to get alot from this species....Beauty does not mean exotic......
A bowl and a loving hand is all they, and we, need...........
Buy them and keep them in a loving bowl.....keep them clean and fed.....and keep the temps of their habitat near room.......Feed them Tetra-Min.
A pet like a dog or cat may suffice to be an example....
How much food would you feed a dog.........1 pinch of flake food would be like 10lbs of dog food...anymore is pollution...waste....and poison to the betta....
Just in everyday life...use common sense....
Please, no disrespect to any one posting to this site.....Thank you
Coryguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #7 
Zippy

When doing a 50% change, you keep 50% of the old water and add 50% new, clean water? And 100% is when you clean all of the water and everything in the tank? Just want to get it right :)
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #8 
wystearya

Well, I'll just point out a good topic on this forum, stickied to the top of the forum:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

There is a *lot* of good information in this thread!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy434 View Post
Me and my husband decided to get my daughter a pet. We went to the pet store and the employee recommended getting a betta fish. He showed us everything we needed which was a 1 gallon tank, plastic decorations, leaf bed or something and the food. Later that day we went to another pet store and they had a sale for 2 betta fish for the price of one. Which we went for taking the first betta fish back. I was aware that you cant put them in the tank together which was great because our tank came with a divider. After doing research I'm freaking out because I feel like the tank is too small especially since its divided. I now regret getting two fish because I didnt realize how much went into their care. The employee didnt tell me I needed all this extra stuff. If I get a heater, filter and the water conditioner will they be okay in the 1 gallon tank? Also why are there little air bubbles all over the tank and my fish seem to stay near the top of the tank. I feel like they're depressed.
Unfortunately some members here are giving you some conflicting information. I'll try to lay out what you need and what you can do. :)

Unfortunately, sharing a one gallon tank does not give them enough room and will foul the water really quickly. I strongly suggest getting a 5 gallon tank and dividing that. That is the only size that is going to be able to cope with the bioload, unless you want to be doing a heck of a lot of changes. For now, a plastic storage tub will make a great temporary tank and you can divide it cheaply. :)

Unless you get *at least* 5 gallons (again, I strongly recommend it), don't bother with a filter. If you do get a filter, I would suggest putting it (and the heater) in a compartment in between the two divided sections. This will allow both fish to get the heat and clean water. :) You may need to baffle the filter.

Definitely get water conditioner. It is VITAL. I highly recommend Seachem Prime. A small bottle will last you forever. :)

Until you can get a bigger tank/filter, I would suggest a 50% water change every second day, and a 100% changes on the days in between.

Good luck!

Coreyguy01: I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but your fish was exceptionally hardy. Whilst you may have given him love, I have to contend that you didn't actually give him that much care. Heaters and water conditioner are not exotic, crazy demands but basic necessities for tropical fish (you said yourself, they come from S-E Asia: an equatorial region). It's great that your little guy lasted so long through such harsh conditions, and kudos to you both, but it is not the norm and not a good way to keep bettas.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #10 
ANHEL123

Hey guys i meant spring water only temporary if she/he didn't put water conditioner. She /he could run to buy a water conditioner, that what i wrote. Because fish will die faster in regular source water without water conditioner than in spring water. Spring water don't have enough minerals and don't really recommended to use.

When i started to have bettas someone told me that i can keep them in spring water and i did for 5-6 month until i find out from this forum that it really bad idea.

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote